Disk backup using RDX

patricks

Hi everyone, I am using version 7.6 on a windows 2000 SP4. I am trying to create a backup to a new RDX 160gig removable drive. The server is only holding 30gigs. here is my issue...

first,

If I use the "Removable Drive" / RDX backup set type i only can get 1 backup on a cart and then the performance is also about half.

Second,

If I use the "Disk" option it does not offer the use percentage of options. This in itself is not a big deal. I can not configure Retrospect to make backups correctly. I am sure I am missing something!

What I what to be able to do alternate the two cartages using one each night. I would think I would be able to get 4-5 full backups on each before the oldest one is dropped off.

it this possible? if so how do I configure the backup sets and the backup type?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I'm that guy. *L*

Though using the Disk option (for speed sake - Removable mode is unusable slow) one would assume the same Disk Backup Set options to be available. However the OS knows you are working with removable media and not fixed. Retrospect is aware of this and limits the media's option accordingly. It's actually working more like tape backup that way. Backups on RDX can't be groomed like a fixed disk can. However you can do regular incremental backups and create a script that recycles the media, for example after a week, and do a new full backup after that. Make sure you have a good backup rotation running that facilitates at least another intact backup with enough 'depth' in the past. You don't want to get caught with your pants down when something goes wrong at the time you recycle your Backup Set's media.

Hope this gets you started.

Thanks "That Guy"!!

That does make sense that the disk props are not there when using an external drive.

Can you or someone help me configure Retrospect?

This is what I would like to be able to do. Since I do not have a ton of data to backup (around 25gig) I want to make full backups each night. I currently have two cartages, but plan on getting two more for a total for 4.

I would like to store multiple backups on each cartage. so if I can store 4 backups on each and I have 4 cartages, I should be able to go back up to 12 days.

is this possible?

Thanks for helping a "newbie"!

Patrick

Edited by Guest

The question is not how much data you have in total, but how much it changes between backups.

Incremental backup is somewhat of a default setting of Retrospect. If that changing data is only 5GB between backups you could use that 160GB (let's say 150GB formatted) with a 25GB initial (full) backup for 25 days before Retrospect would ask you for a new cartridge...

Retrospect 7.6, in contrast to version 8 for Macintosh, has a useable manual. I would suggest looking into that because you will actually, some day, need that knowledge if you run into a problem.

okay,

If I do that and theres a fire on the 18th day, all my data is still on that one cartage!

I need to remove a full backup each night and take it out of the building.

I understand the need to do incremental backups but, thats usually when time and or space is critical.

Is it me just being dumb to want a full backup each night and to store as many backups as I can?

You should use an A and B backup set. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday you run set A, and on Tuesday and Thursday you run set B.

You could also add more sets, so there is always one set at the offsite location. It depends on your needs and there are many ways of alternating, each with their own drawback.

Incremental backups usually take very little time compared to full backups. So if you only have a couple of GB per day changing, you could even wait a couple of minutes after work to do the backup.

I have tried two backup sets. but Retrospect would not add to the cartage. if fact if I remember correctly it would even use the cartage if it had another backup set on it.

So, now again down to just having the number of backups as I do cartages with a lot of wasted space and less protection.

I have tried two backup sets. but Retrospect would not add to the cartage. if fact if I remember correctly it would even use the cartage if it had another backup set on it.

You may not have correctly configured your settings.

(1) what type of a backup set did you specify? "removable media" disk backup set, or "file" backup set?

(2) What do you have set for "Media Options" for your backup set? (perhaps skip to new media?)

See page 24 plus pages 255 and following, and page 270 of the Users Guide.

Russ

Russ,

I have used all three backup set types at or time or another. In my testing I was mainly trying to add a full backup to a drive, keeping the previous backup.

If I used Removable - it overweights the disk even though it is only a 25 gig backup on a 160 gig drive.

if I use Disk- it again won't put multiple backups on a cartage. because is know that is a removable drive

And I think File did the same thing.

I have read those pages about the different backup set and it looks like I want to use "disk" but what it boils down to is that I can not mix backup sets on a give member / cartage. it is missing the media request "use any media". since I am using an external disk and it knows its removable it will not let me add to it. if it would treat it like a "disk" it would be file.

I then would be able to create 5 scripts each using a different backup set using "recycle" and I would be fine. Retrospect could then groom the file/backups making room for the newest one, taking advantage of the full storage amount available.

I am very lost here. i am failing to see the logic of why I am being forced to only have a single backup on a cartage. and then needing a cartage for each day, since I want to do full backups.

I think somebody is missing the boat when comes to using removable disk? or am I that stupid? please prove me wrong!

Thanks,

Patrick

If I used Removable - it overweights the disk even though it is only a 25 gig backup on a 160 gig drive.

This can't be correct, you are probably not indicating the source correctly and it's backing up too much.

if I use Disk- it again won't put multiple backups on a cartage. because is know that is a removable drive

There is a bug when using this mode, but this is not it. You should not need to overrun the cartridges capacity. And it IS possible to do incremental backups this way. You are not configuring it correctly.

I have read those pages about the different backup set and it looks like I want to use "disk" but what it boils down to is that I can not mix backup sets on a give member / cartage. it is missing the media request "use any media". since I am using an external disk and it knows its removable it will not let me add to it. if it would treat it like a "disk" it would be file.

So use "Disk" mode... It is way faster anyway.

I then would be able to create 5 scripts each using a different backup set using "recycle" and I would be fine. Retrospect could then groom the file/backups making room for the newest one, taking advantage of the full storage amount available.

I'm not sure if it's possible to groom on RDX. But you shouldn't need it considering your modest storage capacity needs.

I am very lost here. i am failing to see the logic of why I am being forced to only have a single backup on a cartage. and then needing a cartage for each day, since I want to do full backups.

Full backups can easily be done when media handling is put on "Recycle" Create a script > "Schedule" > "Action" > Recycle

And presto... A full backup each time. Now you only need to make sure you have the right source selected so you actually only backup those 25GB each time.

I think somebody is missing the boat when comes to using removable disk? or am I that stupid? please prove me wrong!

Removable disk mode is slow, don't use it if you can. You're not stupid, but you might need to read the manual much closer. It's not the easiest backup program I'll admit, but Retrospect is fairly complex sporting an aging user interface. But it can easily do what you want it to do.

okay, this is where I am at now.....

I created a new backup set using "Disk" type and added a member (cartage) to it.

edited my script to use the new backup set and made sure the my schedule was set to do a "Recycle". change the time so the job would launch in a couple minutes.

The backup ran fine. used 25 gigs of the 160 available.

I edited the schedule to run at its normal time (6PM) and waited. just to note I left the same cartage in.

When the backup ran for a second time, at 6PM, the first backup was erased and replaced with the new on. checked to stats for the drive and still only 25 gigs used.

What am i missing?

Thanks

Ehh, nothing, wasn't this what you wanted?

If you want a second full backup on the RDX cartridge, you need to but a second Backup Set on it and create a second script that executes the same backup (you can copy the original script) with the second Backup Set as a target instead of the first Backup Set.

And do remember what you want to do, is possible, but not the way most users would engineer their backup.

Ehh, nothing, wasn't this what you wanted?

No, What I would like is to have more than one backup on a cartridge.

If you want a second full backup on the RDX cartridge, you need to but a second Backup Set on it and create a second script

Okay, so if I think I can store 5 backups on the cartridge, I will need to create 5 scripts with each using a different backup set with each script scheduled to run on a different day. What if I could only store three backups on it?

And do remember what you want to do, is possible, but not the way most users would engineer their backup.

I don't think that is true. Almost of the people I talk to do full backups each night and remove the newest backup from the building the next day.

What I think is the issue is Retrospect is trying to use this like a tape drive and not a disk.

Thanks,

Patrick

If you want a second full backup on the RDX cartridge' date=' you need to but a second Backup Set on it and create a second script[/quote']

Okay, so if I think I can store 5 backups on the cartridge, I will need to create 5 scripts with each using a different backup set with each script scheduled to run on a different day. What if I could only store three backups on it?

Either get a larger capacity RDX cartridge (up to 500GB is currently available), or just use another cartridge.

And do remember what you want to do' date=' is possible, but not the way most users would engineer their backup.[/quote']

I don't think that is true. Almost of the people I talk to do full backups each night and remove the newest backup from the building the next day.

What I think is the issue is Retrospect is trying to use this like a tape drive and not a disk.

If you use the RDX drive with a Removable type backup set, it really is similar to tape concerning media handling requesters. When using it in Disk type backup set, it's a bit of a hybrid, because the medium is removable and Retrospect is aware of that. It's one of the reasons I returned the unit.

What you want to do can easily be done, as long as you understand the way Retrospect works. It's not important if all other people you know only use full backups. Ask yourself the question if they are really knowledgeable about the topic. Most of the knowledgeable people I know use some sort of incremental backup method because it saves a lot of time and you have a kind of a time machine for you files (I know I ripped that term out of the Apple community, but that product isn't called like that for nothing).

In the end it doesn't really matter. If you want to have full backups, that should be possible, and with Retrospect it is. You just have to configure it right. But I must say, why not use Windows Backup if you only want to do such a simple thing?