help transferring pro tools files

Hello,

I have some old pro-tools sessions that were backed up on a DDS 3 data tape using "Retrospect" software. We were using Mac OS 9 at the time. Do anyone know where I can get these files transferred from the DDS 3 tape to a dvd format or a portable hard drive?

Oh...and if not, do you have any ideas of who might be able to help?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Derek Tyson Geisser

You don't say what version of Retrospect was used to do the backup.

Retrospect 8.x cannot read any backups made by older versions of Retrospect.

Retrospect 6.0, when released, could read backups of older versions of Retrospect (I tested at the time, all the way back to backups made with Retrospect 2.0), but it has been reported in these forums that Retrospect 6.1, at some point, lost the ability to read backups made by older versions of Retrospect. I can't confirm that because I haven't tested Retrospect 6.1.230 (the last version) with older backups because it would require some recabling of our server to attach a SCSI-1 (not LVD) DAT drive.

I understand that EMC stopped selling Retrospect 6.x when Retrospect 8 was released.

You probably need a copy of Retrospect 5.1, which is (or was) on the Retrospect 6.x CD.

You are just as hosed as the rest of us are now regarding reading of older backups. There is apparently a plan to someday update Retrospect 8 to be able to read Retrospect 6.x backups, but no plan has been announced to be able to read older backups made by Retrospect, and there seems to be no commitment to ever test or support that. See this post (and the following entries in that thread) by the head of EMC Retrospect support:

No plans to support reading older Retrospect backups before 6.x

If you don't still have a copy of Retrospect 5.1 and a machine that can run it, then you might be out of luck if EMC won't now sell you a copy.

What a concept that a backup program might be expected to restore older backups that it has made....

do you have any ideas of who might be able to help?

Well, you might try a local user group to see if anyone has an older copy of Retrospect 5.1 and a machine that runs it. It's available for download from the EMC archive:

EMC Retrospect archive

but you will need a license code. I seem to remember that the version on the Retrospect 6.0 CD would accept a Retrospect 6.x license code.

Good luck.

Russ

Edited by Guest
added info re Retrospect 5.1 in archive