Windows 7 (MSDN Official) and invalid Public / Private Key

Well we have Retrospect 7.6 Server and we got some new Windows 7 (Final MSDN release) clients.

But as soon as I try to add the retrospect clients to the retrospect server.

I get

"Sorry couldn't add backup client, error -560 (invalid private/public key)"

I don't have this problem with any other clients including WinXP, Mac OSX 10.4 / 10.5 nor some Windows Server 2003. It seems its only on Windows 7.

I noticed that there were earlier post about this ie

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/27581/

Which basically mentions Copying the "pubkey.dat" of the server and put it on the client. But none of the two Retrospect Server even has this file.

So does the latest Retrospect 7 client offically support Windows 7 or its still in the works?

Client -> Windows 7 (MSDN Official) -> Running 7.6.106 Client

Server -> Windows 2003 Server -> Running Multi Server 7.6.123 with driver 7.6.2.101 hotfix

I've just taken another look at it and yes the problem persist on another fresh machine with Windows 7 with

"Sorry couldn't add backup client, error -560 (invalid private/public key)"

Funny thing is that I tried it on a Retrospect 7.5.387, it gets further ie asking for a password but fails the password check.

The Next version, will it be an incremental upgrade or do we have to purchase an upgrade.

• 5 months later...

Retrospect 7.7 Server still exhibits the same problem described above. I've tested my client installs on WinXP clients and it works fine there.

When I TEST to my Win7 device, it finds and identifies the client, but when I try to ADD the client, it gives me the "Sorry, couldn't add backup client, error -560 (invalid private/public key).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Do you have 'Automatically add clients' set in your Preferences / Clients > Adding area?

I've seen a simular thing with this enabled, but once you copy over the key to the client it seems to work fine.

Ideally you need this file to be copied by some network script to automate the installation process.

Rich

When I've seen that error I just "forgot" the client from the list, uninstalled the client, reinstalled the client, and readded the client....and it seems to work. I was backing up Windows 7 for a while on RS7.6....am now on RS7.7 and can't backup much of anything.

If you are using the Documents and Settings selector be sure to add "or path matches pattern C:\Users" to the spec.

You need to grab the key from c:\document...\all users..\retrospect...\

...and copy it to your Retrospect directory on the client. I can't recall if you have to reinstall the client again before it'll be picked up - I don't think so.

Overall, the client install experience is very clunky, especially if you need to upgrade from 7.6 to 7.7 or want to do a network install (due to the script.msi file being required, which can't be automated without breaking things).

Richard