Comment on Snow Leopard Compatibility Statement

Is it me or is this strange:

From the knowledge base:

Supported Configurations

The following Retrospect configurations are supported with Snow Leopard. A list of known issues follows.

- EMC Retrospect 8.1 for Mac

- EMC Retrospect 8.1 for Mac with Retrospect Client 6.3 for Mac

- EMC Retrospect 7.6 for Windows with Retrospect Client 6.3 for Mac

However on this page we see no Macintosh client mentioned under Retrospect 7.6:

http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/updates/'>http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/updates/

The only mentioning of 6.3 is under Retrospect 8 for Macintosh on the same page.

So what is the situation? Should we use the older Macintosh Client 6.2.234 (which coincidentally is also not mentioned under 7.6 but it's 'common knowledge' to use it for OSX clients) for Leopard and Tiger clients but 6.3 for Snow Leopard? Or can we use 6.3 for all OSX clients, including Leopard and Tiger? This is not really clear to me.

Can we have some way of knowing for sure what to use? I would strongly suggest adding this information clearly to the updates page: http://www.retrospect.com/supportupdates/updates/

Please add the advised client(s) for Macintosh also under the Retrospect for Windows 7.6 title. Even if this means there are more than one link to that file on that page.

Thanks.

So what is the situation? Should we use the older Macintosh Client 6.2.234 (which coincidentally is also not mentioned under 7.6 but it's 'common knowledge' to use it for OSX clients) for Leopard and Tiger clients but 6.3 for Snow Leopard? Or can we use 6.3 for all OSX clients, including Leopard and Tiger? This is not really clear to me.

I think the 6.3 client is okay on all the systems. The 6.2 client has not been tested on Snow Leopard.

I think the 6.3 client is okay on all the systems. The 6.2 client has not been tested on Snow Leopard.

So why then is there a 6.2 client on that update page? (filed under Retrospect 6.1 for Macintosh). One would presume this would be unnecessary if 6.3 would be okay for all.

From a user's point of view according to that page one should use 6.2.234 with clients being back upped by RS6.1 for Mac, and 6.3.019 with clients being back upped by RS8 for Mac. For clients being back upped by RS7.6 for Windows there is only the 'Classic' 5.1.180 version of the client and no OSX version mentioned.

This is very unclear to most users.

And until now I believed 6.3.019 was not to be used for RS7.6 for Windows and was using 6.2.234 instead. I'm a tad confused Robin. But I'm sure you'll straighten me out. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've installed the 6.3 client on my Snow Leopard system, and am running the 6 server on a Tiger Apple Server machine. The server can see my client machine (and sees the proper client version), can administer it (change password etc.), but when it gets around to trying to back it up, it comes up as Unavailable, like the laptops that aren't around right now. What's going on?

Mike