Proactive backup to tape

Iffen

Hello all. I am relatively new to Retrospect though I have used many other backup programs. I am not sure Retrospect can do what I want it to. I have a small lan with a Windows 2003 Standard server, 3 MACs and 3 PCs. We have a Sony autoloader with 8 bays. Bays 1-5 are used for daily recycle backups and work fine. I want to use bay 6 for a client backup. I have two tapes I intended to rotate each week. I thought I could setup the proactive backups from the clients to the tape and it would overwrite each week. That did not work. I then changed the proactive backup to go to disk. I then tried to backup that disk storage to a tape, but Retrospect would not backup rdb files. My ultimate goal is to get the client files backed up to tape. I have the proactive backup scheduled to backup each client machine once every 7 days and scheduled for 7pm thru 6am and all weekend. I know this rambled but I wanted to get everything out there for discussion. How can I make this happen automatically?

Thanks

I then changed the proactive backup to go to disk. I then tried to backup that disk storage to a tape, but Retrospect would not backup rdb files.

You are almost there. In the second step (moving from disk to tape), you should use the "Transfer snapshots" command (Under "Tools")

Thanks! I knew there had to be a way to do this. The final issue is: What is the best way to clean up the disk backup space so the next week's proactive backups will work? Is it best to set the backup set to only save 1 snapshot or to set the transfer snapshot script to Recycle the source backup set? Which method is the most reliable?

One additional issue I have been fighting with for the last hour...

I have one windows machine that will not connect to the server. I am running 7.6.123 with hot fix 7.6.2.101 on the server. I downloaded client 7.6 and installed it on the workstation and could not connect. When I click "My Network" I get an error "Error scanning network, error -1116 (can't access network volume)." Any ideas why? All of the other machines and subvolumes are working fine.

Thanks! I knew there had to be a way to do this. The final issue is: What is the best way to clean up the disk backup space so the next week's proactive backups will work? Is it best to set the backup set to only save 1 snapshot or to set the transfer snapshot script to Recycle the source backup set? Which method is the most reliable?

In my experience, any additional snapshots adds just a few percent to the first snapshot of each client. I suggest you keep 5 snapshots.

Don't forget to schedule a grooming script at a slack time, perhaps during the weekend. (Otherwise the disk will keep filling up and then Retrospect will start grooming in the middle of a client backup when the disk becomes full.)

Russ,

Thanks for responding. These are all things I have been checking. I finally went all the way back and deleted all the subvolumes and the client definition. Then went to properties of the Backup clients and browsed the network and sure enough the client showed up. I created the subvolumes and now all is well. Guess the old definition was corrupted somehow??? Anyway, it is working now. If it ain't broke .....

Thanks again.