External drive mistakenly reformatted by Retropect express

Greetings,

This problem originated in Windows xp pro. On a HP Compac nc6120.

I have an Acomdata 160GB external drive named G:/Batchbackup that came with a copy of retrospect xpress. This external drive had a backup set on it from Jan 09 and there was a disaster recovery boot disk made per the instructions of Retrospect. The 30GB internal drive on the notebook recently took a dump so I had to run a disaster recovery on my notebook drive C:/

I must be honest and say in Aug of 08 there were approximately 12GB of bad sectors isolated with Partition Magic on the 30GB drive C: Then a complete reinstall of programs and files saved from the external drive. Everything ran great. Now back to the present.

I booted from my disaster recov boot disk. The first time I ran the boot disk, it ended in my elation when windows reloaded and I thought retropect express did a good job. Apparently some of the backup set files in the external were missing (mostly .dll files) so I went through a short process to replace them then shut down. The next time I turned the notebook on, I had to boot from the disaster recov disk again.When it asked me to partition the C: drive, I said yes. This was not working. Disk read errors. I repeated the process a few times and no success. I finally purchased a new hard drive and installed linux because I'm sick of Microsoft.

What has happened? Sometime in the recovery process this time, the retro xpress boot disk has reformatted my external drive. It always ask to partition a drive C: never the G:

I found this out when linux identified the external with 1.2GB of used space instead of approximately 120GB of files. Pictures of my kids and everything important.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.