Backup stalling out

I am using an ibook with the latest version of Retrospect desktop with an updated driver. I backup to an APS DAT tape drive, which is a SCSCI device connected via SCSCI/USB adapter. Backup stalls out (does not progress) past "Compare", and so never completes. It doesn't crash, but doesn't progress. The little progress wheel goes round & round for eternity and beyond. I can stop or pause execution, but I have to force quit to quit program. Also, does not launch automatically as per scheduling. I have used Retrospect for years on my previous computers with no problem. I just upgraded thinking this was a driver problem.

I tried recataloging the storage set from tape command under tools, to not avail either.

I'm running OS9.1

Help!

Thanks!

Attempting to use a SCSI tape drive, which Retrospect must control directly, with a USB to SCSI or a FireWire to SCSI adapter product will be unreliable at best. Tape devices have a suite of commands that are not common to other SCSI devices. Adapter products tend to not be capable of handling the level of communication required.

Archived