No backup device found

Hi,

Here is my system:

Powerbook G4 (ppc) OSX 10.4.11

retrospect v6.1

MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-85JS firmware revision F8X8

It looks like the backup device cant be found.

And when i do configure, even after 24 hours of processing, nothing is happening.

i have backedup data onto a DVD-ram in the past running retrospect 5.1 and now i need to restore some data and it doesnt work.

I have to mention that in the meantime, i had to change my optical drive. Maybe it has something to do with it.

can someone give me some guidelines please?

thanks

You have three possible issues.

(1) you don't say what version of Retrospect 6.1 you have (6.1.x). Updates are here:

Retrospect 6.1 updates

(2) the DVD drive in your PowerBook - it may be a supported device (the UJ-85 is supported, unclear about the UJ-85S):

Retrospect supported devices - UJ-85

Regardless, in order for this device to be supported, you need at least Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU") 6.1.10.100, and you don't indicate what RDU you have installed, or even if you have an RDU installed. Here are the Retrospect 6.1 updates for download:

Retrospect 6.1 updates

In order to use the driver in the RDU, you will need to disable the custom configuration that you did. To do so, with Retrospect quit, move the .rdi file in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect to the Desktop (so Retrospect can't find it when it boots), then restart Retrospect. This way, you will be able to restore that file if the RDU is not the issue. You have a better chance of having Retrospect support your optical device by using the correct RDU than you do with a custom configuration.

(3) Your old data - Retrospect 6 (6.0), when introduced, was able to read backups made by older versions. I tested that, and the ReadMe in the Release Notes states that it can:

Retrospect 6.1 Read Me

However, it has been recently reported in these forums that, at some point over the life of Retrospect 6.x, it lost the ability to retrieve from backups of older versions.

Back in February / March of this year, it was reported by one user that Retrospect support told him that Retrospect 6.1 could not read 4.x backup sets. Here is that older post:

Retrospect 6.1 cannot restore backup sets from older versions

See also a subsequent discussion on this point in the Retrospect 8 beta forum:

Restore of older Retrospect backups pre 6.x

We never used Retrospect 5.x to make any backups, and only briefly used it during the transition to Retrospect 6.0 (it was on the 6.0 installation CD) to move some Retrospect 4.x backups to 6.0. So, I really don't know whether the current version of Retrospect 6.1 (6.1.230) with the current RDU will be able to read your Retrospect 5.x backup set.

At a minimum, you may have to rebuild the catalog from the DVD using Retrospect 6.1, if it is able to recognize the backup set.

Your initial problem (no backup device found) probably will be solved by installing a proper RDU. Once you get over that hurdle, post back here if you still have problems and we can go from there.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Thanks for the answer...

1) i use Retrospect 6.1.230

2) From my own search, it seems like my drive

(MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-85JS) is qualified. I've

installed RDU v6.1.16.100

So i tried your trick of disabling the .rdi file in the retrospect folder. lol. I had six of them.

But it didnt help, i still have to use the configure option and it still processes without end.

So it is still unclear if the current version of Retrospect 6.1 (6.1.230) with the current RDU would read my Retrospect 5.x backup set since i still have a "storage device not found" problem.

I really have to get over that first.

I'll put more time today to try some other things out but any tip would still be very welcome.

thanks again

2) From my own search, it seems like my drive

(MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-85JS) is qualified. I've

installed RDU v6.1.16.100

Ok, then your search results are different from mine. I can find the UJ-85J in the supported devices database, but not the UJ-85JS. See:

Retrospect Supported Devices - UJ-85J

Looking at the RDU version history, it appears that the UJ-85J support was added with RDU 6.1.12.101:

RDU version history

but, again, I can find no mention of the UJ-85S in the RDU version history.

So i tried your trick of disabling the .rdi file in the retrospect folder. lol. I had six of them.

But it didnt help, i still have to use the configure option and it still processes without end.

Sounds to me like you do not have a supported device.

So it is still unclear if the current version of Retrospect 6.1 (6.1.230) with the current RDU would read my Retrospect 5.x backup set since i still have a "storage device not found" problem.

Yep. First step is to get a drive that is supported by Retrospect.

Russ

Well well.

The RDU 6.1.12.101 version history tells that it has indeed added support for the UJ-85J drive (and mine is the UJ-85JS, i guess the same but a bit different) AND it mentions that only DVD+R media is supported with this version.

The backup that i'm trying to restore has been made on DVD-R media, so here's a brand new problem.

I dont (want to) believe that buying a new optical drive is the only solution that comes around. It just doesnt make much sense since my drive is newer than the mac in which it runs.

I got to find something else.

thanks anyway

The RDU 6.1.12.101 version history tells that it has indeed added support for the UJ-85J drive (and mine is the UJ-85JS, i guess the same but a bit different) AND it mentions that only DVD+R media is supported with this version.

There was a bug introduced in the RDU releases about RDU 6.1.10.100 that caused DVD-R incompatibility. That bug supposedly was fixed with RDU 6.1.14.101.

The backup that i'm trying to restore has been made on DVD-R media, so here's a brand new problem.

This would have been useful information to have provided in your initial post.

Seems that you may be hosed unless you get another drive. You might try reverting to RDU 6.1.9.102, which is prior to the introduction of the DVD-R bug, but that's prior to support of the similar UJ-85J drive. Or, you could try manual configuration with RDU 6.1.9.102 or 6.1.16.100. Note that you need to do the manual configuration, if that's what you try, with the same media (DVD-R) and media manufacturer as the media from which you are trying to restore. You aren't configuring the drive as much as you are trying to get Retrospect to match parameters needed to work with the drive/media combination.

I dont (want to) believe that buying a new optical drive is the only solution that comes around. It just doesnt make much sense since my drive is newer than the mac in which it runs.

Retrospect support of optical drives has always been extremely slow to arrive after their introduction. Candidly, if your time is worth anything, your best solution would be to purchase a drive that is supported.

Now that Retrospect 8 has been, um, "released", it's unlikely that there will be further RDU releases for Retrospect 6.

Good luck.

Russ