Retrospect filled a disk backup set, verify shows inconsitency, what now?

Retrospect filled the partition used for the backup set.

This partition is 4.5TB. I know my total backup isn't that big so something is wrong.

In tools I did verify media, it says "completed with 80 errors".

My backups are stopped since 3 days, I don't know what to do next.

Please advise,

ER

Retrospect filled the partition used for the backup set.

This partition is 4.5TB. I know my total backup isn't that big so something is wrong.

The backup set holds all of your backup history from the beginning. If you need more space, investigate "grooming" to prune out older backups (if you don't need them). It's quite easy, over time, to fill up a 4.5 TB backup set.

In tools I did verify media, it says "completed with 80 errors".

Because you haven't provided any of the errors, it's not possible to comment on what it happening.

What may be happening is that the files have changed since the backup occurred. This is normal for files like log files, etc.

If you want some suggestions as to how you should proceed, a little more information would be helpful, such as the errors you are seeing, what version of Retrospect (x.x.x) you have, your hardware configuration, your OS version, etc.

Russ

I had grooming set to 10, I changed it to 5, and closed the window... not Retrospect is not responding... is it grooming?

I have the latest version of Restrospect, running on Windows 2003 server fully patched on a dual Xeon E5335 with 4GB of RAM.

The backup set is a 4.5TB iSCSI SAN.

ER

I'll update the thread once it's done and we can go from there.

When you update the thread, please provide the version of Retrospect. These forums are not only for your assistance, but also for the assistance of others down the road.

I have the latest version of Restrospect, ...

Months from now, when someone else searches for a solution to their problem, it won't be clear what version of Retrospect you had. Also, there are numerous instances in these forums where the problem statement said "latest version of Retrospect" when some older version was being used rather than the "latest version".

Again, when you repost, please provide the version of Retrospect (x.x.x) that you are running.

Regards,

Russ

Two more days without backups.

Just a tip. Always work with at least two alternating backup sets (A and B). ;)

Note: If your A set gets corrupted, you can just Recycle it. You always have a B set available. Only drawback is it takes double the storage, but that's cheap nowadays. And if you alternate days, every set has a 'resolution' of two days instead of one.

Edited by Guest
Added note.