Sign in to follow this  
Antti

Windows 2008 Server x64

Hi,

Most of our server OSs will soon be Windows Server 2008 x64 including our backup server. Will Retrospect run on W2k8 x64 Standard? Will it backup all flavours of W2k8? Domain Controllers? Exchange? If not, when?

It is supported but we have an open bug with the backup of AD on 2008. The bug will be fixed with our release for Windows 7.

It is supported but we have an open bug with the backup of AD on 2008. The bug will be fixed with our release for Windows 7.

W2008 has been around for quite some time now and I am planning to start installing new servers very soon. When will you release it?

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/08/windows-7-rtm-arrives-for-software-assurance-customers.ars

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 will be available worldwide to the public on October 22, 2009.

I assume the Retrospect release will be in that timeframe. Note that I don't have any inside information.

I need to install a new server for Retrospect. This server is going to run Windows Server 2008 STD R2.

Are there serious problems/bugs while running Retrospect Multi Server on 2008 R2 we should consider?

I've been unable to get Retrospect to complete a single backup running on Windows Server 2008 R2 yet. I get error -519 after between 1 and 10 minutes of copying, and the 'retry' is never successful after that.

I am in the midst of troubleshooting it, but it is not looking good...

Anyone successfully running on 2008 Server R2 as the backup server backing up other clients over the network?

We have had daily -519, -530 and -541 problems all resulting on no backups. We were using a server with 4 nics, each with it's own ip address on a single subnet. The following appears to have resolved most if not all of this running EMC Retrospect on a Windows 2008 server. If your server has more than 1 nic per sub-net, try the following on the server. Network settings, Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4, advanced tab, on interface 1 usually where the default gateway is set, uncheck automatic metric and set it to 10. Set the metric on interface 2 to 20, metric to 30 on interface 3, metric to 40 on interface 4 etc. This will cause windows to route any traffic not bound to a specific interface to the interface with the lowest metric. When multiple network interfaces operate on the same sub-net using the default metric of 10, windows can route upd or tcp traffic onto any of the 4 interfaces. This I believe is how clients hear the server communicating on more than 1 interface which leads the client to spawn a second listener thread. Once that has happened, -519, -530 and -541 errors until the client is restarted. No guarantee on this but I would be interested on feedback on this issue. It has been a major problem here. This appears to have helped in resolving client connection link lost, disconnection, client not found, etc. issues. I'm not absolutely convinced this is the FIX, but try it and let me know. I haven't seen a -519, -530, -541 error in over 10 days since I implemented this on our server. If it helps everyone, then I will believe it is fixed. Feedback welcome.

Anyone successfully running on 2008 Server R2 as the backup server backing up other clients over the network?

We have NO problems at all with our setup. It actually worked correctly from the get go... Our server has 4 network connectors (2 ports on mainboard and one dual-port NIC on PCIe), 24GB RAM and dual XEON (Nehalem) quadcores. Backup storage targets are either iSCSI or Fiber channel based. Local storage is a dual RAID1 setup. Clients are a mix of XP, Vista, Server (2003 & 2008) and OSX 10.5.x based machines.

We did have network problems around the same time with a new 3COM 48-port gigabit switch, but this proved to be a problem with the switch and we exchanged it for a smilar specced (but more expensive) HP Procurve.

Well, we continue to have the issues with this test server. I experience the *same* issues with a crossover cable directly attached from one computer to the other, with zero other NICs enabled (all other NICs other than that one are disabled.)

I have no idea what the problem is, but I'll be saddened if we have to move back to 2003, as when the backup is actually running before it times out, it consitently hits 30+% utilization on a Gbe network link, which is a full 60+% faster than retrospect on a win2003 server. Since the purpose of this hardware upgrade was for backup speed, we really need to get 2008 R2 working.

Are all of you who have it working on 2008 R2 x64 ? I'm at a loss as to what the problem is..

Are all of you who have it working on 2008 R2 x64 ? I'm at a loss as to what the problem is..

Yup, Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (Standard)... No out of the ordinary problems to report.

It's just a thought, but are you sure your machine is stable when under load? It could be this is not a Retrospect problem at all.