Retrospect Launcher doesn't work

I'm running Retrospect Multi Server v.7.6.123 with Windows Server 2008 SP2 and for some reason Retrospect will not automatically launch for a scheduled execution. Previously I was running Retrospect on Server 2003 and it worked then. I have compared all the relevant settings (known to me) between the two boxes and everything is set up the same.

Under Preferences > Startup I have "Enable Retrospect Launcher service" and "Automatically Launch Retrospect" both checked. Under Services the "Retrospect Launcher" service is set to Automatic and does start properly. The service is set to use the local system account.

Despite everything appearing to be set up properly and being set up in a way that worked under Server 2003 Retrospect fails to launch automatically.

I would really appreciate some help with this!

Thanks much.

Shawn

Yes, executions will start when I manually launch Retrospect. Everything works great when I open it manually. I tried removing the auto start option which I saw removed the Retrospect Launcher service. Then I turned it back on which added the service again but that didn't fix it. I tried having the service run as a local admin account. That didn't help. It's strange because as far as I can tell the exact same configuration worked with server 2003.

Ok, so this is what I did.

1) Turned off auto start, rebooted.

2) Turned on auto start, rebooted.

3) Verified that Retrospect Launcher service started correctly.

4) Scheduled a backup for 3 minutes in the future and closed Retrospect.

5) Waited about 15 minutes, checked processes for retrospect.exe and it wasn't there. Checked the backup set itself and could see that it was not being written to. It was still at its initial size of 4KB.

6) I launched Retrospect and got the message. "Retrospect is about to start scheduled executions......."

Hi. I don't know if this applies to your problem or not as I use Windows 2000 server, but when that happens to me I have to stop the launcher and helper services, reenter my administrator password and restart the services. No idea why this happens but that has fixed it for me every time.

That did actually work. Thanks! This brings up another issue though. Now it is executing the backups in the background but even after the backup is done it doesn't seem to be killing the process. When I try to open Retrospect I get the EMC Retrospect Monitor instead of the full application. I have to reboot the computer and then I can finally get the full application to launch. I'm assuming this is because there is another instance of Retrospect running under the local system account. Is there a way to get that to exit when it's done?

Thanks,

Shawn