Retrospect Helper

Woody

I am a new user running the trial version of Retrospect 6.0.206 for Windows. Did a disaster recovery on my c: drive running XP Professional. The computer works fine now except on boot I get a Retrospect Helper error message. "Can't Restore WMI Repository (8004100a)" I click OK and the message goes away. Computer runs normally. How do I stop this error message at boot up?

I am running a registered copy of the program and I had the same problem. Here is what I discovered...

My motherboard has an on-board Raid controller that uses an "unsigned" driver. One of these drivers is preventing various functions in XP from working properly. (Including Windows XP System Restore and Retrospect's "Updating Meta Data" error.)

To see if your motherboard has the same on-board Raid controller, open up Device Manager and then look under SCSI and RAID controllers. You will see HPT372 UDMA/ATA133 RAID CONTROLLER. If this is the case, you will need to do the following...

Please refer to the following Knowledge Base article on Microsoft's website...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q322246

I used Method 2 and it corrected my problem. (When you reboot after deleting hptpro.sys, Retrospect will finish successfully.)

My computer also appeared to be working without this fix. However, all of my email settings and emails were not loading. I also noticed that the System Resore function wasn't working. Deleting the hptpro.sys file corrected these problems as well.

Hope this helps.

Wayne Harris

I appreciate the response but it did not help. I read the Microsoft K/B article and checked to see if I had any HighPoint drivers installed. No luck. No SCSI or RAID drivers at all. I did also check to see if Restore Point works though. The computer had established two automatically and I manually made one and restored to it successfully.

Thanks,

Woody

Archived