RDU 6.1.16.100

Retrospect 6 not working with latest RDU on 2009 model iMac with OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5670S.

I just purchased a new iMac and no I can not read my Retrospect 6 Backups on this machine; wondering when an RDU will be available that supports this drive.

I see that two OPTIARC drives are supported: Optiarc AD-5630A (Apple version); Optiarc AD-7170A (Apple version)

Retrospect 6 not working with latest RDU on 2009 model iMac with OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5670S.

That is the expected behavior because your drive is not a device that is supported by Retrospect. See:

Retrospect supported devices database

I just purchased a new iMac and no I can not read my Retrospect 6 Backups on this machine; wondering when an RDU will be available that supports this drive.

You may never be able to read your Retrospect 6 backups on that machine.

Development of Retrospect 6 ceased long ago. Retrospect 8.1, which was released earlier this year, is the currently supported product. So I wouldn't expect to see any further RDU updates for Retrospect 6.

By the way, Retrospect 8.x is unable to read backup sets from ANY earlier version of Retrospect. See the release notes for Retrospect 8. Good luck.

I see that two OPTIARC drives are supported: Optiarc AD-5630A (Apple version); Optiarc AD-7170A (Apple version)

Then you might consider buying one of those drives (or another drive that is supported) to use with your new Mac and your old copy of Retrospect 6.x.

Russ

First thing that came to mind when reading your reply, rhwalker, was that you didn't do much but reiterate each of my issues. I also get the idea you have absolutely no idea what your talking about, the latest driver update for Retrospect 6 (for Macintosh) was May 29, 2009. Unless you're only three months old that is not "a long time ago".

I would argue that Retrospect 6.1 is still viable software. You can buy an entire operating system for what it cost me to purchase, I expect some support for my patronage.

Hey, I'm just a Retrospect user like you are. I have been using the product since Retrospect 2.0 in 1991 or so.

I see, by your great number of posts, how much help you have been providing to other Retrospect users over the years.

You can make whatever argument you want, whatever. I tried to help. These are user-to-user forums, and are not an official channel for Retrospect support.

I was just trying to provide you with information so that you could move on with your life and get backups with your system using a supported drive.

Good luck on your issue. Only history will tell who is right. Let us know if / when your drive becomes supported by Retrospect 6. We await information that your drive has become supported with bated breath.

There is also the possibility that you might be able to do a "custom configuration" of your drive. Of course, I'm sure you are aware of all that because you seem to know it all, but details are on page 33 of the Retrospect 6.x User's Guide:

Retrospect 6.x Users Guide

Good Luck.

Russ

Regarding the posts, I now have three but it's not quantity it's quality.

And I don't see any that are to help others. All three of your posts are in this thread that you started, requesting help for your problem. The quality of your three posts is astounding, I must say, and an example for all to follow.

What, are they handing out free copies of Retrospect to the forum hounds with the most posts?

No, we help other users out of the goodness of our hearts. No pay, no freebies. Just trying to help other users limp along with the product until the new Mac version becomes usable.

Russ

• 1 month later...

What is with people today...

I come here every once in a blue moon. I don't contribute anything, because in the case of Retrospect, I don't have anything to contribute.

I've been using this product since around 1993 / 1994. Simple personal stuff. I'm not part of a big corporation.

Even though it's been quite a while, even though my memory isn't great - I immediately recognized the name 'rhwalker' when I logged on today. Russ has saved my butt a couple of times over the last 3 years. (in fact, I think Russ has been helping me longer that what is reflected in the posts on the current forum). He didn't get paid anything for it, he just did it because he felt like helping someone. I've been online at 11PM posting questions - and there he was posting answers. Wow.

Russ, I for one, greatly appreciate the contribution you make here. EMC should be paying you for putting up with this kind of arrogance.

Russ, I for one, greatly appreciate the contribution you make here. EMC should be paying you for putting up with this kind of arrogance.

Thanks. Others have helped me, and I return the favor. I would be happy if EMC made Retrospect 8 reliable and able to read older backup sets (back to Retrospect 2.0 at least) so that we could continue to retrieve our data that we relied on Retrospect to preserve.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...
I would be happy if EMC made Retrospect 8 reliable and able to read older backup sets

Russ

For what its worth' date=' I just got this from emc:

Teater_Stuart2@emc.com to me

show details 1:56 PM (46 minutes ago)

Hello,

You can use 8.1 if you upgrade from 6.1, the only caveat is that your 6.1 backup data will not import into 8.1, that functionality will be added in an update before the end of the year.

separate issue:

Anyone having luck using 6.1 on snow leopard? I thought it was incompatible.

best,

m

Edited by Guest

Teater_Stuart2@emc.com to me

show details 1:56 PM (46 minutes ago)

Hello,

You can use 8.1 if you upgrade from 6.1, the only caveat is that your 6.1 backup data will not import into 8.1, [color:red]that functionality will be added in an update before the end of the year.[/color]

Well, that's very encouraging, but only solves a very small part of the problem.

The need is to be able to read backup sets (DAT tapes) all the way back to Retrospect 2.0 (1993). And it's a very real and important need.

No need to update them, and, while it would be inconvenient, we could rebuild the catalogs if necessary.

Russ