Seagate STD6401LW not recognized

I don't see your DAT drive listed as a device supported by Retrospect. What makes you think that Retrospect should work with it? See the list of supported Seagate STD devices:

Retrospect supported Seagate STD devices

You might want to search for a drive that is supported and get such a drive. Here is the place to do that:

Retrospect supported devices database

Also, once you find an acceptable drive, if you still have this problem, you need to provide additional information:

(1) What HBA (SCSI) card do you have?

(2) Exactly what Retrospect version (6.1.?) do you have?

(3) Exactly what Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU") do you have? (x.x.x.x)

(4) What version of Mac OS (10.x.x) and architecture (Intel or PPC) do you have?

Russ

Thanks Russ.

When I googled the Seagate STD6401LW model number I saw one link that identified it as a Seagate Scorpion 40. The one I have has a Scorpion logo next to the Seagate logo but not the number 40. I guess it is not the same. I didn't realize that Retrospect would only recognize certain DAT tape drives when I bought it this one.

PD

The fundamental underlying problem is that Mac OS X does not have any tape drivers. Each software vendor has to write their own.

That's the main purpose of the "Retrospect Driver Update" ("RDU") - to add additional drivers to support additional devices.

See:

RDU Version history

You might want to look in the RDU version history, too (see above link) because sometimes support is added for different devices and isn't entered into the Supported Devices database.

When I googled the Seagate STD6401LW model number I saw one link that identified it as a Seagate Scorpion 40. The one I have has a Scorpion logo next to the Seagate logo but not the number 40. I guess it is not the same.

That's new information, and you might want to investigate further:

Retrospect support for Scorpion 40

Seems like the Scorpion 40 is supported.

Perhaps you are just missing installation of an RDU. See the RDU version history above, with links to each update. The RDU version is printed in Retrospect's log each time the program launches. Check to see if the RDU is being loaded; if not, install it.

You don't say what HBA (SCSI card) you have, and that could also be the problem. Please provide that information. If you've got an ATTO card (UL4D or UL5D, depending on the type of peripheral bus in your computer (PCIe or PCI-X), which is the recommended SCSI card), then the ATTO utilities will show you whether the device is showing up on the SCSI bus.

You also don't report whether Apple System Profiler is seeing the drive in the device chain built at boot time. That information would be useful.

Finally, Seagate no longer supports this drive (it's now supported by Certance / Quantum). There is a manual available online:

STD6401LW manual, perhaps that will help.

Russ

Edited by Guest

SCSI card is Adaptec 29160.

The Apple system profiler does identify the Seagate DAT drive.

Retrospect won't.

I should probably look at another drive that Retrospect will support (hopefully) like

Sony SDTD11000 LVD.

Man I really do appreciate your time helping me out.

PD

[color:red](1) What HBA (SCSI) card do you have?[/color]

Adaptec 29160

[color:red](2) Exactly what Retrospect version (6.1.?) do you have?[/color]

[color:red](3) Exactly what Retrospect Driver Update ("RDU") do you have? (x.x.x.x)[/color]

[color:red](4) What version of Mac OS (10.x.x) and architecture (Intel or PPC) do you have?[/color]

10.5.7 Power Mac G5 PPC

[color:red](1) What HBA (SCSI) card do you have?[/color]

Adaptec 29160

[color:red](4) What version of Mac OS (10.x.x) and architecture (Intel or PPC) do you have?[/color]

10.5.7 Power Mac G5 PPC

Ok, then we know you have at least one problem. Your Adaptec 29160 won't work with 10.5.7. Your existing DAT drive may work if you get a SCSI HBA that works with Mac OS 10.5.7; updating the SCSI HBA is needed regardless of which drive you use.

Adaptec stopped supporting the Macintosh platform as of Mac OS 10.3, and never wrote drivers for 10.4.x or 10.5.x. See:

Adaptec abandons Mac OS X

At a minimum, you need to get a supported SCSI HBA. Pretty much, the only choice is an ATTO card. You don't say which model of PPC G5 you have, but most of them have PCI-X card slots, which means you would need an ATTO UL4D card. We've got one in our Xserve G5, works fine. The Apple Dual Channel SCSI card (really, an LSI Logic 22320) is a piece of junk, never worked right. As soon as we replaced it with the ATTO UL4D, everything worked.

Russ

• 5 weeks later...

Robin,

It is my understanding that the Sony SDT 11000 is supported by retrospect 6.1. This is the second DAT tape drive I have bought that won't show up in Retrospect.

Is it possible for the Sony SDT-11000 to show up in the system profile and still not be recognized by Retrospect?

Thanks

Pat

Are you telling me that it is a problem with the Adaptec card regardless if the G5 recognizes the drive.

Yep. I don't know how I could have been any clearer upthread:

Ok, then we know you have at least one problem. [color:red]Your Adaptec 29160 won't work with 10.5.7.[/color] Your existing DAT drive may work if you get a SCSI HBA that works with Mac OS 10.5.7; [color:red]updating the SCSI HBA is needed regardless of which drive you use.[/color]

[color:red]Adaptec stopped supporting the Macintosh platform as of Mac OS 10.3, and never wrote drivers for 10.4.x or 10.5.x.[/color] See:

Adaptec abandons Mac OS X

[color:red]At a minimum, you need to get a supported SCSI HBA.[/color] Pretty much, the only choice is an ATTO card. You don't say which model of PPC G5 you have, but most of them have PCI-X card slots, which means you would need an ATTO UL4D card. We've got one in our Xserve G5, works fine. The Apple Dual Channel SCSI card (really, an LSI Logic 22320) is a piece of junk, never worked right. As soon as we replaced it with the ATTO UL4D, everything worked.

Simply because Apple System Profiler, which runs at boot time using a limited chit-chat with devices in an effort to build the device tree, doesn't mean that Retrospect (or the Mac OS X SCSI driver) can talk to your tape drive through the Adaptec HBA with the full range of driver commands that are needed.

Sorry if this wasn't clear but I don't know how to say it any clearer.

Russ

Thanks guys. Now I understand. Here is what my G5 has. Is the ATTO card (UL4D) still the card to get?

Model Name: Power Mac G5

Model Identifier: PowerMac7,3

Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (2.2)

Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz

Number Of CPUs: 2

L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 900 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

Serial Number (system): G845195VQPQ

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-000D934049D8

Yep.

Seems that you have this machine:

Power Mac G5 Dual Processor 1.8 GHz (June 2004)

Which is PCI-X (not PCI).

Either the UL4D (dual channel) or the UL4S (single channel) is the right card.

I'd suggest the UL4D so that the tape drive can be on its own SCSI channel (in case you have other SCSI devices).

There is a hard-to-reproduce bug with Retrospect if you have a system disk (volume) on the same SCSI chain with a tape drive (at least with our tape drive, an Exabyte VXA-2 1x10 1u PacketLoader (SCSI)) such that sometimes, when Retrospect does its device scan to begin the backup, it causes the SCSI driver to do something that can hang the system (perhaps a bus init?). I believe that what happens is that a transfer completion interrupt is dropped from the disk drive, causing pagin/pageout to deadlock. It's very hard to reproduce, and the only solution that Retrospect support and I could come up with was to put the tape drive on its own SCSI channel.

Russ

Mactracker as well as the apple site that says it is PCI for PowerMac G5 1.8 dp (June 2004) (Model ID: 7,3)

Link

The one you referred to was the first model: PowerMac G5 (Model ID 7,2)

Would that call for the same card? I looked at the atto website and couldn't see where any of the cards were for PCI?

I did find this used atto card that might work.

Link

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Pat

Edited by Guest

The spec sheet for the UL4D (and UL4S), which is PCI-X, says that they are backward compatible with PCI. I've never used one in a PCI slot, only PCI-X.

ATTO UL4D spec sheet

The discontinued UL3D (and UL3S) is PCI, but only has drivers for Mac OS 10.3.x and 10.4.x, not 10.5.x. The long-discontinued UL2D (for which you provided a link) is so old that it's not even listed in the "discontinued products" on the ATTO site. I sincerely doubt that there are any Mac OS 10.4.x or 10.5.x drivers for the UL2D. If you read the fine print on the UL2D page link that you provided, you will note that it says that the card supports "Mac OS 7.5.2". Doubtful that a Mac OS X 10.x (of any variety) driver exists, certainly not on the ATTO web site.

I suggest that you give ATTO support a call and verify that the UL4D / UL4S will work in your computer with 10.5.x. I've found ATTO support to be very good.

I see some UL4D cards on sale on eBay for under $300 and some UL4S cards on eBay for under $200.

Russ

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Received and installed UL4S this morning. The SDT 11000 Shows up in System Profiler. Retrospect still does not recognize it. Device status shows ID — SCSI:A:3:0 but no device. Any ideas would be appreciated. The ATTO configuration says the driver is not installed for the device.

Pat

Edited by Guest

Could you please post what shows up in System Profiler for the HBA (ATTO UL4S) and that SCSI chain?

Here is an excerpt of what we see on our Xserve G5 (there is a bug with the new forum's display of code blocks, ignore extraneous garbage at the beginning and end):

PCI Cards:

ATTO ExpressPCI UL4D:

Name: ATTO,ExpressPCIProUL4D
     Type: scsi-2
     Bus: PCI
     Slot: SLOT-3
     Vendor ID: 0x117c
     Device ID: 0x0030
     Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x117c
     Subsystem ID: 0x8013
     ROM Revision: 1.5.2
     Revision ID: 0x0008

ATTO ExpressPCI UL4D:

Subsystem ID: 0x8013
   SCSI Parallel Domain 2:

Initiator Identifier: 7

SCSI Target Device @ 0:

Manufacturer: EXABYTE
         Model: VXA 1x10 1U
         Revision: A110
         SCSI Target Identifier: 0
         SCSI Device Features: Wide, Sync
         SCSI Initiator/Target Features: Wide, Sync
         Peripheral Device Type: 8

SCSI Logical Unit @ 0:

Model: VXA 1x10 1U
             Revision: A110
             SCSI Logical Unit Identifier: 0

SCSI Target Device @ 1:

Model: VXA-2
         Revision: 2143
         SCSI Target Identifier: 1
         SCSI Device Features: Wide, Sync
         SCSI Initiator/Target Features: Wide, Sync
         Peripheral Device Type: 1

SCSI Logical Unit @ 0:

Model: VXA-2
             Revision: 2143

I suspect that your SCSI IDs or LUNs might not be properly configured.

Russ

Russ,

Is this what you mean?

ATTO ExpressPCI UL4S:

Driver Installed: Yes

Subsystem ID: 0x8014

SCSI Target Device @ 3:

Manufacturer: SONY

Model: SDT-11000

Revision: 0200

SCSI Target Identifier: 3

SCSI Device Features: Sync

SCSI Initiator/Target Features: Sync

Peripheral Device Type: 1

SCSI Logical Unit @ 0:

Manufacturer: SONY

Model: SDT-11000

Revision: 0200

That's what I needed to see.

Observations:

(1) Your ATTO Boot ROM firmware is ROM 1.5.2 (same as I have), and you don't report the .kext driver version. That's a bit old. I'm running MacOS Server 10.4.11 on our Xserve, you are running 10.5.7. ATTO has released a couple of Boot ROM and .kext (kernel drivers) to support MacOS 10.5 and 10.6. Current Boot ROM is "Flash Version 2009_04_10 /BIOS V2.27 (Released 08/28/2009)". Current .kext (driver) is version 4.40. See the ATTO downloads link: ATTO UL4D/UL4S driver downloads

You can check the versions and update the Boot ROM by running ATTO's configuration tool (see above ATTO link).

(2) I don't know how the SDT-11000 needs to be configured regarding LUN and SCSI IDs - whether you have an autoloader, whether the autoloader is on a different channel from the tape drive, etc.

As you can see from our listing, the autoloader is at SCSI 0 and the tape drive is at SCSI 1 for our device. Yours only seems to be showing the tape drive (Peripheral Device Type 1). The SDT-11000 documentation (for configuration information) is here:

SDT-11000 documentation

Do you have any other devices attached on that SCSI chain? I see you are using SCSI ID 3. Retrospect (or Apple's SCSI driver) has some issues with disk drives on the same SCSI chain as the tape drive during Retrospect's device scan, I won't go into that if not necessary here.

(3) You might want to try the Sony diagnostics (Sony tape tool) to see if it can handle the drive. Link is here:

Sony SDT-11000 downloads

I was able to get our Sony DAT drive (SDT-7000) (now retired, sits in a cabinet) working using the Sony docs and tape tool, maybe they will help you figure out how your device needs to be configured.

See if that helps.

Russ

I have downloaded the Sony Tape tool but I don't know how to run it. Does it run automatically? When I click on the sonytape icon it opens up a window and it says this:

Last login: Mon Sep 14 11:40:29 on ttys000

/Users/patrickdouget/Desktop/sonytape_mac_os10_v2.3\ 2/sonytape ; exit;

r75-110-227-50:~ patrickdouget$ /Users/patrickdouget/Desktop/sonytape_mac_os10_v2.3\ 2/sonytape ; exit;

Sonytape ver. 2.3 for Mac OS X, Sony Electronics, Inc. 2008

Usage: sonytape <-switches>

switches: -h help

-d enable=1 disable=0

-e erase tape

-f upgrade firmware

-g spectra upgrade firmware

-i change inquiry

-m move medium

-p format tape

-r read element status

-s make firmware tape

-t dump diagnostic trace

-u unload tape

-w write & read function check

-x extended write & read function check

Done.

logout

[Process completed]

The Sony Tape Tool is a unix program that has to be run from Terminal (unix command line). What you are seeing is a Terminal window with the help message from the Sony tape tool.

Easiest way to run it is to navigate to the appropriate directory using shell commands in Terminal, then to run the program with the appropriate switches for what you are trying to do.

Back when I used this tape tool a while back, there was a readme file (.txt) in the tarball that got extracted. Details and example command lines in that file. You probably want to update the firmware and then use the -x switch.

Russ