How much space is required for grooming?

I'm getting the following error when grooming:

Grooming Backup Set Client B failed, error -1115 (disk full)

The boot drive of the system (where the catalogs live) has 80GB free. The catalog file is around 20GB (set to uncompressed). The backup set is around 1.2TB.

How much free space do I need to maintain? Or does this error mean something else?

Yes, it is definitely on that disk. Here's the full error:

Grooming Backup Set Client B failed, error -1115 (disk full)

You must recreate the Backup Set's Catalog File.

See the Retrospect User's Guide or online help for details on recreating Catalog Files.

Can't compress Catalog File for Backup Set Client B, error -1 (unknown)

I find the "can't compress catalog file" error interesting because I have catalog file compression turned off for that backup set.

I do get the -2241 issue during grooming about 25% of the time (as discussed in this thread ) but I have done exhaustive testing and am CERTAIN the disk and controller are good.

So while it's possible the catalog was corrupt, I know when the catalog for this backup set was last rebuilt, and there haven't been any crashes since then.

If grooming fails, then you must rebuild the catalog. Just like the log is suggesting.

Of course. I was just wondering why the grooming failed with "disk full" when there obviously was enough space, and no other previous sign of corruption. Or is this just a variant of the -2241 issue where we just basically have to suck it up as a fact of life with large backup sets for the foreseeable future?

• 4 months later...

I've started getting "Grooming Backup Set Client A failed, error -1115 (disk full)" whenever I groom a particular backup set (manually or via our weekly scheduled groom).

My disk configuration is as follows:

• Drive c: (boot) - 335GB Free
  • Drive q: (10k rpm drive dedicated to catalogs) - 107GB free
  • Drive F: (1-Client A) 1TB capacity, 55GB Free according to OS, Retrospect set to use 95% (it reports 0% / 8.5GB free on this member)
  • Drive G: (2-Client A) 1TB capacity, same configuration as 1-Client A, but with ~450G free

Last night when grooming failed due to "disk full" I checked the event log and noticed a notification that system restore had been suspended because drive F: (1-Client A) was low on free space about 30 minutes before grooming failed, and was resumed about 30 minutes after (noting that disk space had been freed).

So it is the data volume itself that is apparently filling up and causing the grooming failure, not the catalog or boot drives.

So... how much free space is needed on a member of a multi-member set that is being groomed?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having similar problems. Win2K3/X64 Standard Server, Retrospect 7.7, dual core Dell R200 4GB RAM, 50GB C:, 2x 1TB backup disks.

Five backup sets with catalogs stored on C:, three are about 200M each, the remaining two are catalogs for machines that have several million files each -- the catalogs are usually about 2-4GB.

One of the catalogs has zoomed up to the size of available disk space, currently about 39GB, and then failing. Lots of Disk Full and heap memory failure errors. From these forum messages and others, I moved the catalog file to another disk with 300GB free and started a catalog rebuild. The executing recatalog job been running for seven hours, the completed line says 3681103 files, 138.3GB and the rebuilding catalog file is at 72.2GB and continuing to grow.

Should the rebuilding catalog file be 1/2 the size of the entire backup set? And how long should this process run? I'm afraid its stuck in a loop where it's not reading any more of the backup set but the catalog file is growing without bound...

I've never seen a catalog do that, and I've seen catalogs do a lot of strange things. Must be a 7.7 thing.

As for our problem, increasing the amount of free space on the first member of each two-disk backup set from 5% to 10% resolved the problem completely- every groom I've done since the increase has succeeded. It seems strange to me that grooming (an operation designed to free disk space on overly-full volumes) requires a certain amount of free space on those volumes to succeed.