Still needing help with error code 1899

tquinn

in a previous thread at . . . .

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/31133/

. . . I asked a question about how to overcome this error code. Suggestions were made and tried, which did not fix it. Then the thread seemed to die.

Is there anything else to try, or if not, is there a way to upgrade the software to be compatible with XP SP3, and allow me to make a disaster recovery set?

(I'm not sure that this is the roo cause, but it was suggested in the linked thread. However, I recently made a recovery using a disaster recovery set that was prepared when my computer was at SP2).

Thanks,

Terry Quinn

My apologies but what Robin suggested is dead on, Retrospect 6.0 was never tested with SP3 (SP2 came out almost 6 years ago so it was tested).

There is an additional problem though...unless you have created a slipstream image of WinXP with SP3 or you have an original hologram Windows XP with SP3 disk, you are not going to be able to create a disaster recovery CD. If you try to use the I386 folder from a WinXP SP2 disk you are going to end up with a disaster recovery disk for SP2 only.

With SP3 I would suggest doing a live restore. That is, install the OS, update just the service pack to SP3 then run a full volume restore over the top of the existing OS.

My apologies but what Robin suggested is dead on, Retrospect 6.0 was never tested with SP3 (SP2 came out almost 6 years ago so it was tested).

There is an additional problem though...unless you have created a slipstream image of WinXP with SP3 or you have an original hologram Windows XP with SP3 disk, you are not going to be able to create a disaster recovery CD. If you try to use the I386 folder from a WinXP SP2 disk you are going to end up with a disaster recovery disk for SP2 only.

With SP3 I would suggest doing a live restore. That is, install the OS, update just the service pack to SP3 then run a full volume restore over the top of the existing OS.

Ssafreed,

You may be correct that it would create a disaster recovery disk that thinks it was SP2, but based on my actual experience, it will bring the system back to SP3.

I mentioned in a previous post that I recently had to use the Disaster Recovery to restore my full system. It worked, which is why I'm trying to set up for it again.

The CD-RW that I used for the disaster recovery was prepared with Restrospect in February of 2008, and at that time my system was still at SP2. My system was upgraded to XP SP3 via a Microsoft pushed upgrade on September 2, 2008.

I did the recovery about a month or two ago. During the recovery, I was able to redirect the Disaster Recovery system to a more recent backup. My system came back up as SP3, and it is working fine now.

I just wish I hadn't deleted the recovery files on my CD-RW (while I was preparing to make a new disaster recovery disk), or I wouldn't have to be typing this post now.

Since I understand that I'm not going to get support for using Retrospect 6.0 to prepare an SP3 Disaster Recovery set (even though it does during the recovery), can anyone answer my other question? That question was, what is the best/least cost upgrade path for me to get from Retrospect 6.0 to a product that will provide Disaster Recovery capability with XP3?

And is your point about having to reinstall XP3 still relevant even with the new software? Because if it is, that is problematic.

Thanks,

Terry