MAC OSX Firewall

I have a client using MAC OSX's built in firewall on his machine, and it doesn't seem to work well with Retrospect. He has set it to allow all incoming connections from the client and the status on the client is "ready".

I have tried to remove, and re-add his computer to my sources and still no luck.

I was curious as to what ports retrospect uses to access a clients computer. Maybe we will be able to allow some sort of work around on the command line.

Thanks for the help.

I have a client using MAC OSX's built in firewall on his machine, and it doesn't seem to work well with Retrospect. He has set it to allow all incoming connections from the client and the status on the client is "ready".

I have tried to remove, and re-add his computer to my sources and still no luck.

I was curious as to what ports retrospect uses to access a clients computer. Maybe we will be able to allow some sort of work around on the command line.

Steve,

Your question is a bit unclear to me, and I interpret it differently than Dave did in his response above. Your use of the term "client" may refer to a computer, one of your consulting "clients", or both. It's also unclear to me whether the Mac OS X firewall that you are trying to configure is on the client computer, the Retrospect engine computer, or the Retrospect console computer. I believe, from the context of your question, that you are asking about the firewall on the Retrospect engine computer, but that may not be the case.

First, I assume that you are using Retrospect 8 because you posted this request in the Retrospect 8 forum. The architecture of Retrospect 8 is a bit different than with previous versions, and there are three components that are communicating:

(1) Retrospect engine - does the work of the backup, and communicates with the clients to do the backup and communicates with the Retrospect console to do the User Interface.

(2) Retrospect console - the user interface, and may or may not be on the same computer as Retrospect engine, interacts with the Retrospect engine.

(3) Retrospect clients - acts under the direction of Retrospect engine, communicates with Retrospect engine.

Communication between (1) and (2) occurs on port 22024:

Retrospect Engine and Console chat via port 22024

(no information has been provided as to the protocol, though; perhaps when a manual arrives...)

Communication between (2) and (3) occurs on port 497, UDP and TCP:

Retrospect communicates with clients via port 497

Retrospect also uses multicast to IP 224.1.0.38 to do client discovery:

Retrospect Multicast

Does this help?

Russ