MapError: unknown Mac error 20

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I have it as well, did you ever figure it out??

11/4/2009 8:29:40 PM: Copying 2.0TB ABCD_RAID

11/4/2009 8:32:05 PM: Snapshot stored, 75.4 MB

11/4/2009 8:32:35 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 55 files, 144.0 MB

Performance: 239.9 MB/minute

Duration: 00:02:54 (00:02:17 idle/loading/preparing)

• 3 weeks later...
Is anyone from Dantz hearing us here???

Two points.

(1) Dantz ceased to exist years ago. See the press release from October 12, 2004:

EMC Acquires Dantz Development Corporation

So, it's pretty certain that no one from Dantz is hearing you.

(2) Perhaps you misunderstand, and think that these forums are the way to contact EMC Tech Support. They aren't. These forums are user-to-user support. See the forum rules:

Retrospect Forum Rules

This forum is a community based self help tool for users of the Retrospect Backup Software and other EMC Insignia Products. ...

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

Hope this helps,

Russ

Same here. Have left a note for support:

I am having a problem with the following attached error. This job appears to hang -- the log shows the attached message and the summary says "closing" but the job never completes and is never removed from the activities list.

I am using Version 8.1 (build 626) / Mac OS X 10.6.2 Server

I have searched the knowledge base and the forum, and found no potential solutions.

+ Normal backup using Media Room Mac mini on NAS Pro at 11/26/2009 1:18 PM (Execution unit 3)

To Media Set Media Room Mac mini on NAS...

- 11/26/2009 1:18:22 PM: Copying Macintosh HD on Media Room Mac mini

MapError: unknown Mac error 22

TFile::Close: close failed, /Volumes/retro-nas/Retrospect/Media Room Mac mini on NAS/1-Media Room Mac mini on NAS/AA000028.rdb, oserr 22, error -1002

TMacFileLoc::Delete: UDeleteFile failed, /Volumes/retro-nas/Retrospect/Media Room Mac mini on NAS/1-Media Room Mac mini on NAS/AA000028.rdb, oserr 16, error -1020

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

On the off chance someone else wanders in here looking for this answer (as I did), you can find it in the EMC Knowledgebase. Search for the "exact phrase": Unknown Mac Error 20

The Knowledgebase doc on the error says:

"Retrospect 8 for Macintosh may display the following text in your log during backup:

"MapError: unknown Mac error 20

"This is debug logging displayed by Retrospect and is not an actual error to be worried about. As long as the backup reports "completed successfully" or has no errors displayed with a Red Arrow in the left margin, your backup is secure."

So it's nothing to be concerned about, EMC says (which begs the question why it's showing up). It's still there in the most recent version 8.1 (build 626)

On the off chance someone else wanders in here looking for this answer (as I did), you can find it in the EMC Knowledgebase. Search for the "exact phrase": Unknown Mac Error 20

Yup, and note that the Knowledgebase article was added six days after my last post, upthread. That article didn't exist at the time this thread was active.

Russ