Retro schedule options (suggestions)

awnews

1) Is there a way (if not, this is a suggestion) to tell RP6 or RDP5.6 to just skip a past-due scheduled execution (e.g. due to the PC being off at the execution time)? For example, if a script is set to run every night at 2AM but the PC is off, Retrospect runs the script (*all* the missed scripts sequentially) the next time the PC is turned on--while I'm waiting to use the PC. I'd like to set the program up (globally? per-script?) to *not* run past-due scripts. If the PC wasn't on in this example, probably nothing or little has changed so I'm willing to skip the execution, and I want to use the PC rather than wait for Retro to finish running all the missed scripts. Yes, I can stop it manually each time and for each sequential script but I shouldn't have to.

2) An ability to directly Enable/Disable a scheduled script. At the moment, assuming I just want to suspend but not delete a script that normally runs scheduled, I have to change "Next time" to sometime in the future (e.g. a month or a year+ ahead) and not forget about it later (so it doesn't restart). But Retro isn't a smoke alarm and I'm not worried about forgetting to put the battery back in. I'd just like a simple [x] Enable check box for a script, perhaps as a scheduling option or maybe at the "Manage scripts" dialog level.

• 3 months later...

I'd like to again suggest (and emphasize) the following:

Please provide an option (probably as a global option; could also make it per script) to skip missed unattended backups instead of making a user manually deal with each one (e.g. skip until next) as each script is launched.

I just came back from a week+ long vacation during which my PCs were off (backed up just before I left so nothing had changed) and I had to wait an hour, for four backups, after turning on my PCs for RP6 to finish before I could use my PC. I would have canceled each RP6 script manually as it launched but I couldn't. RP6 was launched as a service when the PC booted and by the time I logged on RP6 was already running the backups. The RP6 screen display was a jumbled mess with no menus, icons or text (probably because it was launched as a service, with no defined video or screen resolution) so I wasn't sure where to click to try to stop things and I didn't want to risk screwing up my backup files.

Thanks for the great suggestion - we are looking at ways to improve the scheduling features within the program.

With the current functionality, you can edit your script schedule and select the option to "Skip Scheduled Executions" until a set date, if you know you'll be away. Another solution may be to go into the global Preferences >Execution > Schedule > Schedule) and set the schedule for all days to Never while you are gone.

Thanks for the suggestions and for considering mine. I've sometimes done that when I know I'm going to be gone (and just forgot to do it on this last vacation).

However,that method is not as useful when PCs are unexpectedly shut down (e.g. power failure), when a laptop (normally backed up every night to another HD on a LAN) is erratically powered up and down as it's taken on the road, etc.

Archived