Needs new media... Why?

Recently I had a backup running that was telling me that I needed to add new media in order for the backup to continue. The problem is that the existing media set still had 15GB of free space and the backup only had 4GB of data it needed to backup.

Is there some sort of bug that causes Retrospect to mis-calculate the available free space on the media set?

Thanks

Okay, I ran the update and by the way shouldn't both the console and the engine get updated if they're on the same Mac? I had to download the update and run the engine update separately.

Anyway, checking the media sets I have found some really strange things. None of my media sets is set to use 100% and when I try to change and save it to 100% it doesn't stick.

Try this...

Change the percentage to 100% so you see the free space.

Then quit the console.

then restart the engine.

When you restart everything, make sure you are seeing the correct amount of free space *before* you attempt the backup after this restart.

I've seen things in the past where changes don't immediately "stick" if something odd happens (as the console then reads from the *backup* config80 file -- not your *changed* config80.dat file...

Okay, I set the media set to 100% and verified that the free space showed up correctly. I then quit the console and checked the media set again and it was still correct. I then started a normal backup and it scanned the first Mac and then went through the matching and once it began to backup the first file the activity reported that new media was needed. I checked the media set and the free space was back to zero.

The initial backup to this set went fine. This occurs on subsequent backups. I'm going to reset everything and try a "recycle" backup and see what happens unless you have something else I can try.

Thanks

Before:

Used = 359.2 GB

Free = 3365.8 GB

Total = 3725 GB

After:

Used = 359.2 GB

Free = 0 B

Total = 3725 GB

Log file:

+ Normal backup using KNS Mac Backup at 7/6/2009 4:16 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set KNS Mac Backup...

SMTP: opening addr 204.78.44.13

> Can't access backup client Mac User 1, error -530 ( backup client not found)

7/6/2009 4:17:20 PM: Connected to Mac User 2

* Resolved container Mac User 2 to 1 volumes:

Mac User 2 on Mac User 2

7/6/2009 4:16:44 PM: Copying Mac User 2 on Mac User 2

devSetExec: already reserved devRef 0x0, reserveType 0x7fffffff, reserveCnt 1

Additional error information for Disk Media Set member "1-KNS Mac Backup",

Can't write to file /Volumes/KNS Mac Backup/Retrospect/KNS Mac Backup/1-KNS Mac Backup/AB000616.rdb, error -1023 ( already exists)

> !Trouble writing: "1-KNS Mac Backup" (3486105600), error -106 ( data overwrite attempt)

!Trouble writing media:

"1-KNS Mac Backup"

error -106 ( data overwrite attempt)

runTestTO: 1 minute elapsed

Edited by Guest

The -106 error is interesting. That is a device communication issue. Something prevented Retrospect from writing specific data to the media set. The result in a corrupt media set.

I would suggest creating a new media set and try again to see if the 106 errors come back.

Run any available disk checks on the destination drive.

I have formatted both HDs that made up the RAID for this media set. I then re-created the RAID and created a new media set. I have just started a recycle backup and the backup is proceeding normally. We'll see what happens when the next backup runs after the initial backup.

I have formatted both HDs that made up the RAID for this media set. I then re-created the RAID and created a new media set. I have just started a recycle backup and the backup is proceeding normally. We'll see what happens when the next backup runs after the initial backup.

Same old same old... After doing this the next scheduled backup failed because it said new media was needed even though there was 3TB of free space on the media. Retrospect sees zero. Very frustrating that this is happening and I'm starting to regret upgrading from 6.1. Here's the log info:

+ Normal backup using KNS Mac Backup at 7/14/2009 10:24 AM (Execution unit 1)

To Media Set KNS Mac Backup...

SMTP: opening addr 216.195.71.136

> Can't access backup client xxx xxxxxxxxx, error -530 ( backup client not found)

7/14/2009 10:25:05 AM: Connected to xxx xxxxxxx

* Resolved container xxx xxxxxxx to 1 volumes:

xxx xxxxxxx on xxx xxxxxxx

7/14/2009 10:24:18 AM: Copying xxx xxxxxxx on xxx xxxxxxx

devSetExec: already reserved devRef 0x0, reserveType 0x7fffffff, reserveCnt 1

Additional error information for Disk Media Set member "1-KNS Mac Backup",

Can't write to file /Volumes/KNS Mac Backup/Retrospect/KNS Mac Backup/1-KNS Mac Backup/AB001155.rdb, error -1023 ( already exists)

SMTP: opening addr xxx.xxx.xx.xxx

> !Trouble writing: "1-KNS Mac Backup" (3430830080), error -106 ( data overwrite attempt)

!Trouble writing media:

"1-KNS Mac Backup"

error -106 ( data overwrite attempt)

SMTP: opening addr xxx.xxx.xx.xxx

Edited by Guest

Okay, I just created a new folder on the same physical disk and then added it as a media set. I then added it as a media set to the script. The backup is now running which is what I expected since the backup always runs completely when the media set is first used. The failure occurs on the next scheduled backup so we'll have to wait until that occurs to know anything.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me more about the destination hardware? Is this a home made raid? What process did you use for the raid creation?

Is this a 3rd party name brand backup device?

We would like to reproduce the problem but need more detail about the configuration.

The 106 error you keep seeing is a hardware error. It could mean that the RAID is not working correctly

Normally I tell users to try and repair or rebuild the RAID and try again.

I do believe a Retrospect bug does exist, but I don't think the 106 error is coming from Retrospect. It is the RAID reporting it.

What does the OS X console log report?