Can't write file ".DS_Store", error -50 (feature not supported)

As the subject says. I keep getting this error on a duplicate backup.

I am using retrospect 6.1.230 I can't find a forum for version 6 any more so I am posting here. I have not moved to version 8 yet as I am running a PPC xserve.

This duplicate is quite important as it is my xraid that is being duplicated and it has not run for a few days now as it keeps erring.

Any ideas please

You haven't provided enough information to help.

(1) what filesystem is on the destination?

(2) what are the permissions of the destination folder into which the .DS_Store is being written?

You need to check the permissions on the directory into which you are doing the duplicate of this file.

The .DS_Store file is a Finder file that saves the view preferences for the particular folder. It's possible that you logged on to the destination at one time as "root" or some such, and caused the Finder to create a .DS_Store file with permissions that cannot be overwritten, or else that the enclosing directory (".") has permissions that are problematic.

Go into Terminal and poke around.

It's safe to simply delete the .DS_Store file, on the destination and/or source. All it will affect is whether the Finder displays the folder in column, icon, etc., mode, the sort order, and stuff like that. Cosmetic only.

Russ

Well the .DS_Store file is in the root of my xraid. The xraid is split into two 4GB and 4GB a duplicate runs every night from the live side to the backup side.

I have removed the .DS_Store file before, but I am still having the problem.

As for the Volume formats on the xraid they are Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Well the .DS_Store file is in the root of my xraid.

Again, you haven't provided any information about the permissions / ownership involved (for .DS_Store on the source, or on the destination, or on "." for the destination - the root volume).

And I assume that a Finder copy succeeds?

Note that the problem may not be .DS_Store at the root level of the destination, but instead may be buried deep in the filesystem tree.

It also may involve issues with the Finder having .DS_Store open on the destination while you are attempting the copy, simply because you are doing a root-level copy of the volume.

Candidly, Retrospect may not be the best tool for such a "duplicate" - Retrospect's strength is in backup, not copying. You might want to give "SuperDuper!" a shot for doing such a cloning operation, or a RAID 1 mirror split.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's been a while since I was able to reply to this post, But I am still haveing trouble with the same issue.

It is something to do with this .DS_Store file not being able to be written to the back up volume. I don't really care about the file since it is nothing crucial.

What I want to know is if there is a way to exclude the copying of a particular file in my duplicate. I have seen an option to exclude files but it only give the option to exclude files that are in the list box. Unfortunalty .DS_Store files are not listed here.

Is there a way to add them to this list. there was another option to enter your own file types, but that seems to want an extension which does not help with .DS_Store as it has not extension that I can use.

Any ideas?

• 3 years later...

I am experiencing the same problem. I'm using a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 2GB of RAM, running Mac OS 10.5.8. Retrospect version is 6.1.126. Retrospect had been working just fine without problems until about a week ago, when it started kicking out this error message. Here is the content of the error in the log:

∆ Retrospect Express version Iomega Edition6.1.126

autolaunch at 7/3/2012 2:00 AM

+ Duplicate using Daily Backup at 7/3/2012 2:00 AM

Warning: volume Daily Backup has the Ignore ownership setting enabled.

- 7/3/2012 2:00:29 AM: Copying Customer Files on Macintosh HD…

Can't write file “.4D28B809-18E2-4FCD-B52E-5C9F3E124ED0-1-Spotlight”, error -47 (file busy/folder not empty), path: “Customer Files/.4D28B809-18E2-4FCD-B52E-5C9F3E124ED0-1-Spotlight”.

Can't write file “.DS_Store”, error -47 (file busy/folder not empty), path: “Customer Files/.DS_Store”.

Trouble writing files, error -50 (feature not supported).

7/3/2012 2:02:10 AM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 61609 files, 116.0 GB

Completed: 2 files, 21 KB

Performance: 0.1 MB/minute

Duration: 00:01:41 (00:00:02 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 7/3/2012 2:02 AM

Any suggestions? My weekly backup (to a different external drive) appears to be working correctly, but I'm nervous about the fact that this backup is not running. I'd appreciate any suggestions.