Retrospect Opens Activity Monitor Not Backup Program

hrdeutsch

After I installed the latest updates to Retrospect 7.6 the icon and exe file both open the Activity monitor splash screen but not the actual backup program or activity monitor. None of my scripts run as scheduled. I am running Vista 32 bit.

Any ideas as to the problem and the solution? Thanks.

Sounds like another Retrospect process is already running. Try restarting the computer? If needed, try to rename the Retrospectmonitor application from .exe to .old then try opening Retrospect. You will then probably get an error from Windows explorer which will help explain the trouble.

This is a known issue.

See http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/30875/

You can work around this issue by killing retrospect using the task manager (ctrl-alt-del) and ending the retrospect task.

You see this message when retrospect as stop for some reason (new media needed, can find a catalog, a bad catalog, etc). Any thing that requires some type of user intervention causes this. You have to end the task (and abort the backup) and then investigate the issue by starting a manual backup to see what the error is.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This happened to me this morning. When I try to start Retrospect 7.6 I got the activity monitor. Then I renamed retromonitor.exex to retromonitor.ol and restarted the PC. Now I get a message that Retrospect is already in use. If I try to click OK, I get "waiting for the other instance to close...". The msg has been on the screen for over 10 minutes now.

I believe this occurred due to a power failure in the middle of the b/u process.

What can I try now?

Bill

Thanks Robin for your reply. I finally did determine that Retrospect was grooming for another computer. What is strange though is that the activity monitor doesn't say that -- it is just blank. If the activity monitor had indicated that some other process is currently taking place, then I would not have been concerned that something was wrong with system.

• 8 months later...

See Topic#33739. http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/33739/

I'm seeing this issue when Retrospect launches from a service and has any kind of hang-up, rather than when I launch Retrospect directly.

In XP, with Retrospect 7.6, when I logged in, I'd see Retrospect running in the system tray and I'd be able to launch the GUI and correct anything. Now that I'm running 7.7 in Win7 64-bit, I just get the monitor and have no way of correcting the issue without killing the old session and starting a new one.

Edited by Guest