Scripts competing over one drive

I have noticed that when two scripts that need the same backup tape drive overlap (for whatever reason), Retrospect simply "stops" trying to process BOTH scripts. Even when trying to force one of the scripts to take a tape from the needed drive, the Retrospect's option to "proceed" is greyed out. I had to cancel both scripts and then start them over.

I would like to see better handling of this type of conflict.

• 2 weeks later...

They may be what is supposed to happen, but we have seen on several occasions the following:

1. Script "A" calls for a tape drive, which is going to spam multiple tapes.

2. As script "A" is using the tape drive, it fills up a tape and calls for another, blank tape (we have an autoloader).

3. During the time that script "A" is switching tapes, a second script, script "B", calls for the same drive.

4. Both scripts are now deadlocked. Neither one will budge until one of them is forcibly quit.

I know that this is a very obscure scenario, but it does happen from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...
Are scripts A and B using the same backup set? (They do here and we have no such problem with our loader.)

No...they are using different backup sets. HOWEVER...

I think that I may have found out why this happens. Over the weekend, we had another one of these "fighting over the same drive" issues, and upon further inspection, one of the scripts was not bound to a specific drive. We normally bind tape sets to specific drives, but I apparently forgot about this one.

I'll see if the problem crops up again in the future.