Can't restore Registry error 1100, part 2

Hi All...

There have been some people with issues restoring from my post here:

http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/30775/

I, too, have been doing further testing today, and found some issues that I didn't see last week. I have found yet another possible workaround for restoring a 64-bit Windows Server 2008 system. Any and all posts on this are very welcome...let us all know if this works for you!

Note: This backup and restore assumes a complete wipe and re-setup of the 2008 system. Use a test system. Don't try this on a live system!

1. Before backing up the system, make a backup of the system registry using the "regcopy.exe" (run as administrator) program from the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Retrospect\Retrospect Client

2. Back up the 2008/64-bit system as normal.

3. Wipe the 2008 system and reinstall Server 2008/64-bit.

4. Install the Retrospect client and restore the system as normal. Ignore the errors that the Registry cannot be restored.

5. Restart the client in Safe Mode (hit the "F8" key when booting, and select the Safe Mode option).

6. Restore the client's registry using the RegCopy.exe program in step 1 and reboot Windows normally.

7. Once the client is rebooted, restore the client's SYSTEM STATE via Retrospect. This time, the registry should restore properly.

I've tested this once on our test systems, and it appears to work fine.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for all the testing you've been doing on this issue. We're testing this one on our end, too.

We're shooting to release a full x64 version of Retrospect this summer, which will not have any of these Win Server 2008 registry problems.

Cheers,

Eric

Thanks for the message.

On a side note, this works for Windows 7 as well. The only problem is that Windows 7 barks about being "non-genuine" with no way of reactivating or re-entering the product key. My Microsoft Office Apps appear to want be re-activated, too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've found what appears to be the silver bullet in this whole mess of restoring 64-bit Server 2008 machines. The restore of the system state and registry is successful if a copy of SQL server is installed. The SQL server copy that we have on our test boxes is version 2005.

This may all be moot with the eventual release of Retrospect 7.7, but it may help others who are still struggling with this problem.

I just did a test with an installation of MSSQL 2005 Express (the free version). I did NOT license the SQL server in Retrospect and did a test backup/restore.

IT RESTORED JUST FINE!!!!!

So, apparently having a copy of Microsoft SQL Server installed on the 64-bit Windows 2008 server lets Retrospect backup and restore the client.