Express HD 1.1 Problem with Restore After Reload

bill_smart

I recently had a failure with the hard drive in my PC and had to have it replaced. After re-loading all of my software, including the Maxtor OneTouch II software and Retrospect Express HD, I am unable to restore my files to my new hard drive. This is the third time in the last 6-8 months I have had to replace my hard drive, but the first time I am unable to restore my files from the OneTouch II.

I loaded the software from the CD I originally received with my Dell PC and Maxtor OneTouch II, and then upgraded to RetroExp HD 1.1. After upgrading to 1.1 and restarting my computer, I then attempted to do a file restore. On the first screen I selected the Restore button. On the next screen I selected "Restore". On the next screen, I selected a restore point from the various backups I have on the OneTouch II. On the next screen I selected which specific files I want to restore. On the next screen, I selected the location to which I want the files restored (I did not select “To their original location on Local Disk C:). I then selected the “Restore†button. The screen goes to one that says “Restoring . . .â€. After a few seconds that screen shows “AUTOEXEC.BAT†and “Completed 0 of 135940 files, 0.0KB of 36.5 GB†and a gray box pops up that says at the top “Restore did not finish successfully†with a white box embedded that which includes statistics, and the comment “execution incompleteâ€. I have available a Screen Print of the message if that owuld help.

This process I describe above is the same process I have follwed in the past, but for some reason it will not work this time. Can anyone help me restore my files?

After re-loading all of my software, including the Maxtor OneTouch II software and Retrospect Express HD, I am unable to restore my files to my new hard drive.

I loaded the software from the CD I originally received with my Dell PC and Maxtor OneTouch II, and then upgraded to RetroExp HD 1.1. After upgrading to 1.1 and restarting my computer, I then attempted to do a file restore.

I believe that you skipped a step. You need to bring the system forward to its revision/patch level at the time of the snapshot for your restore. Your steps leave the system at an earlier patch level before the restore.

Try: Install OS from CD, update with Windows update, etc., install Retrospect, restore.

Russ

Russ:

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to include in my original post that I did do OS updates after installing the OS and before installing Retrospect. As I mentioned, I followed the same steps that had been successful for past restores after hard drive crashes, but this time it will not work. Still hoping someone has the "magic" solution to what is causing my problem.

Anyone?

Ok, maybe we are making progress (looks like you are not having very good luck with your disk drives, though).

What version of OS (and patch level) are you using?

Is it possible that something has changed on that front since the last successful restore?

It may be that you need an updated version of Retrospect Express HD (your version is kinda old). See:

Retrospect Express HD updates

Russ

I am using XP Media Center Edition, Service Pack 3. After re-loading XP, and doing the Windows Update routine, that's what I have. Can not be 100% certain what it was when the backup was done, but believe it was that. If it helps, I have Windows critical updates set to automatic download and install, and the backup I am trying to restore is from 5/13/09, so I am fairly certain the OS level is the same now as it was when the backup was performed.

I realize the version of Retrospect I am using is fairly old, but I was able to use it several times before. Just frustrating that it won't work now.

And yes, not real thrilled with the hard drive situation. On my third one since 10/08. GRRRR!!!

Just an additional note. I have another computer that has basically the same configuration as the computer that died. I took my external hard drive to that computer and tried to do a restore from the RetroExp 1.1 loaded on that computer. I got exactly the same result - the gray box with the message at the top that says that "Restore did not finish successfully" with a white box embedded that which includes statistics, and the comment “execution incompleteâ€.

I'm at my wits end. Help!!!!!!

I had somewhat related questions - If I upgrade to the latest version (appears to be 2.5), will that fix my issue, and will I be able to restore the backup done originally on V1.1?

If 2.5 will solve my problem, how do I upgrade from 1.1 to 2.5? On the web site there is not a logical path leading from 1.1 to 2.5.

Thanks!

Bill,

I truly wish I could answer your questions, but they are in an area that is beyond my expertise. I'm not a Windows expert.

That said, here are the release notes for Express HD 2.5, and they don't seem to indicate that your specific configuration requires the update:

Retrospect Express HD 2.5 release notes

Candidly, it's starting to look like your issue isn't one that's going to be solved by the update.

Regarding the update procedure and options, see this thread which has similar questions to yours:

Retrospect Express HD upgrade thread

I suggest that you call EMC support to discuss. If you do get the update / upgrade, I believe that there is some period of free support.

Wish I could help more,

Russ

Russ - I really appreciate all of your efforts to help me. As I'm sure you can imagine, it is very frustrating not being able to get my files back.

All - I just downloaded the trial version of 2.0, and upgraded it to v2.5 in an attempt to recover my files. When I ran v2.5 to try to restore, the same exact thing happened, though the gray box is now blue. any ideas?

Is there anyone from EMC Insignia on this forum that can help?

any ideas?

You could try downloading a trial of the full version of Retrospect, which is more robust. It can work from the same backup sets.

Is there anyone from EMC Insignia on this forum that can help?

These forums are pretty much user-to-user support. Occasionally some of the EMC people do stop by, but that's not their job.

Again, I suggest that you call EMC support. They are very good, and your problem seems to be a bit beyond what user-to-user support can do.

Contact EMC support

Russ

Now I have a new problem. After trying to do a restore with Express HD 2.5, I get a message that there was a problem, it was saved to something called assert_log.utx and do I want to send it to EMC. I elected to send it, but cannot find a file with this name anywhere on my computer. I'm really going crazy now.

After downloading the trial version of Retrospect 7.6, and re-cataloging, I was finally able to restore my files. Now I have a new problem. Retrospect 7.6 just randomly starts. It does not appear to be executing any commands, but it continually opens. Does anyone know how to get it to stop doing this?

Russ - Thanks again for all your help on this.