Is it possible to move \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\...?

dkTechorders

Let's suppose that we're running out of disk space on the C: drive of the server where Retrospect is installed at. In this scenario, the first thing we can do is moving some OS related files, like the pagefile, the ServicePackFiles, and even the TEMP folder, since it is not only where all the apps/services store their temporary files, but also where Retrospect them as well.

In case that moving all the OS related files/folders to another drive is not enough, then we can consider relocating Retrospect's files/folders onto a different drive. For example, we can move the Catalog Files, or even uninstall Retrospect and then reinstall it onto the other Drive, since all we have to consider to avoid losing the previous scripts is to keep the information stored in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\, specially the Config75.dat.

But even after reflecting all what mentioned above, we might still have very large .DAT files stored within C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\, like the files retrosec.dat and retrosnt.dat, both of them within the \RtrExec.dir\ subfolder.

So, having said all this the big question would now be: is it possible to move the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\ folder to a different drive? Because the folder will remain on the C: drive even after reinstalling Retrospect.

Thanks in advance, and best regards.

AI on behalf of Techorders

It is easy to move the OS to a bigger disk without reinstalling the OS. There are utility to do this from Seagate and Western Digital. They are sometime included when you buy a new drive. You can also do this with some disk imaging software.

I have done it for Vista 32 bit OS and XP. I used a free software DriveImage XML. The key is to boot from CDROM with BartPE. This way you run the software with the original boot hard drive not running the OS or any any applications.

I did a drive to drive imaging with DriveImage XML (new drive need to be bigger than old one). After this step, you have to remove the old drive and install the new drive. The next step is to boot Vista from the CDROM to do a system repair. This step is needed because the drive serial number is associated to the drive letter.

files retrosec.dat and retrosnt.dat

On my server, these files are tiny.

we can move the Catalog Files

I would imagine these files are enormous or at least the most likely to make the biggest difference. It's not hard to move them. Just do it. :) Then Retrospect will prompt you for their new location.

Thanks Maurice for your reply. And yes, we already moved the catalog files; I mean, we moved them before posting this comment, that is why we were trying to get rid of the retrosec.dat and retrosnt.dat file.

The interesting thing is that we seem to find our way to the solution... which is to shutdown Retrospect and reboot the server. Let me explain myself: now that the server came up and no script is running, the retrosec.dat and retrosnt.dat files are gone. More over, the \RtrExec.dir\ subfolder is abosolutely empty. So, we guess this folder is used for temporary stuff.

Thanks and best regards,

• 3 years later...

Then Retrospect will prompt you for their new location.

Sadly, it does not.. I just did this and Retrospect hapilly greets me as a new user, prompting me for the license code :(

If you have done this, it's just a matter of putting the Config7x file back and Retrospect will continue working as it did.

[EDIT] I found out what's making these files big. It's the logs! Clear all the execution history and the file shrinks from (in my case) 2Gb to 1Mb!