Duplicate on LaCie Rugged - Rugged not accepted as Startup Disk

I perform a duplicate with Retrospect 6.1.138 of my MacBook Pro running Leopard (10.5.7) on a LaCie Rugged 120 GB disk, through firewire.

The drive is formatted as Mac OS extended - but not Journaled, Disk Utility tells me.

When I try to set it as startup disk in System Preferences, the OS on the Rugged does not show up

If I restart with 'option' held down, the Rugged drive does not show up.

I have seen several posts telling us that Retrospect (both 6 and 8) can make bootable clones using 'Duplicate'/'Copy'

- fx from the knowledgebase:

"6.1.138 and Leopard: Restoring and Duplicating: When using OS 10.5 or higher on an Intel Mac, Retrospect 6.1.138 or higher is required for full system restores or duplicates. If a previous versions of Retrospect is used the restored system will not be bootable."

- Is it the drive?

- Is it the connection (firewire 400 or 800)?

- is it the formatting?

- Is it something else?

Help will be greatly appreciated.

bmw

You must be young, and have yet to understand that life is not always fair, and that few things are "right". Ours is an imperfect world.

What about rsync and all of the other duplication programs that you paid for in Mac OS X that don't work? That's not "right" either.

Retrospect's strength is backup and restore, not cloning. I'm not going to rant and recite a long list of all of the issues with trying to clone a drive that Retrospect 6.x doesn't do correctly (try ACLs, for a starter, and there are others). Been there, done that.

All I was attempting to do was to help you solve your problem, and to avoid having you waste time pursuing unproductive paths.

There are other ways, too, of doing what you want, such a RAID 1 mirror split, which is the standard way to clone an active server's drive without having to take it down, but I didn't want to go into a treatise on the exotic solutions. If you want a discussion of that approach, there's a white paper on SoftRAID's web site (www.softraid.com).

You got your money's worth on the backup and restore of files. I suggest that you move on.

Or, you could keep trying to beat your head against a wall....

MacBook Pro running Leopard (10.5.7) on a LaCie Rugged 120 GB disk, through firewire.

The drive is formatted as Mac OS extended - but not Journaled, Disk Utility tells me.

When I try to set it as startup disk in System Preferences, the OS on the Rugged does not show up

There's also a possibility that something else is in play regarding the LaCie Rugged 120 GB firewire disk. I'm not aware of any issues with that drive, but I don't have one to test. The SuperDuper! cloning would settle that question once and for all.

Also, there are several variants of "Mac OS Extended". Your problem may be something on the order of a wrong type partition map on the drive. I'd suggest blowing the drive away, reformatting using Disk Utility on your MacBook Pro. That way, you know you are starting out from a good baseline that, when a proper set of bits are poured into the filesystem (by SuperDuper! or whatever path you take), the partion maps, etc., will support booting. If your drive was not formatted by Disk Utility on your MacBook Pro, who knows what was used by LaCie during manufacturing?

Russ

Edited by Guest
discuss partition map issues