Does retrospect 7.6 have a volume size limit?

Hi,

We are using Retrospect 7.6.123 with hotfix 7.6.2.101.

We have 76 clients divided up into 3 logical backup sets which get backed up into 2 physical backup sets that we rotate every week. The physical sets consist of 4 hard drives configured in a single Server 2003 dynamic volume.

We keep 3 snapshots and the active physical backup set gets groomed every Friday.

A little while ago we were running out of space, so we added another 250GB drive to each of our physical sets using Windows Server 2003 Dynamic volume expansion. This brought the total capacity of each set to 1.08TB.

We then started to run into -105(unexpected end of data) errors.

I called Retrospect support and they suggested I simply erase the rdb files after the last successful backup and re-catalog.

So I did on both physical sets, this seemed to fix it.

Until just now, with ~200GB free space, I get another error -105 and it complains of lack of free space.

So this got me thinking, errors only started happening when we finally broke 1TB in capacity on the volumes.

Does Retrospect 7.6 have a maximum volume size limit it can cope with or can it simply uses as big a volume as NTFS does.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

So yesterday I swap in this week's backup set.

Our 2 backup scripts execute, 1 of them is fine and fully completes without error.

The other one starts spitting out the following errors

+ Normal backup using Windows at 6/1/2009 12:00 PM (Execution unit 2)

Device trouble: "1-Backup Set A", error -105 (unexpected end of data)

E-mail notification failed: error -1201 (stopped by operator)

6/1/2009 12:47:41 PM: Execution stopped by operator

Total duration: 00:47:31

The one that worked and the one that failed are both backing up to the same physical drive.

So anyways, I kill the script, leaving the other one running which completes fine.

I decide to try a re-catalog to try to fix it but end up with the following errors:

+ Executing Recatalog at 6/1/2009 2:13 PM (Execution unit 2)

To Backup Set Backup Set A...

6/1/2009 2:15:03 PM: Execution stopped by operator

Duration: 00:01:36

So again I go in the set's folder and delete the last day of rdb backup files it had(~35GB) and initiate a re-catalog of "1-Backup Set A" which completed 4 hours later.

+ Executing Recatalog at 6/1/2009 2:22 PM (Execution unit 2)

To Backup Set Backup Set A...

The locked preference on the Snapshots is not preserved after a recatalog.

Please review the Snapshots in the Backup Set and make appropriate changes.

6/1/2009 6:28:45 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 450568 files, 380.1 GB

Performance: 1961.9 MB/minute

Duration: 04:05:49 (00:47:46 idle/loading/preparing)

This is what the retrospect engineer I spoke to a few weeks ago suggested.

So I re-configure the scripts to re-integrate the now I hope, fixed backup set, since all scripts forget about a set every time the catalog has to be re-created.

Backup starts normally, and after about 1hour into the script with around 95GB of space still left free on the drive I get this:

- 6/2/2009 2:17:25 PM: Copying user on User's Computer

- 6/2/2009 2:19:31 PM: Verifying user on User's Computer

6/2/2009 7:43:41 PM: Grooming Backup Set Backup Set A...

6/2/2009 7:59:17 PM: Groomed 3.3 GB from Backup Set Backup Set A.

- 6/2/2009 7:59:19 PM: Copying user on User's Computer

6/2/2009 8:02:55 PM: Snapshot stored, 2,516 KB

6/2/2009 8:03:03 PM: 1 execution errors

Completed: 49 files, 1.5 GB, with 12% compression

Performance: 391.8 MB/minute

Duration: 00:21:30 (00:17:36 idle/loading/preparing)

When it happened Retrospect decides to automatically groom the set for some odd reason, even if it still had free space, and after about 5 hours it succeeded in grooming a tiny 3.3GB and continues with the backup cycle which is useless now as most people have turned off their computers, which means today's backup window was missed and it will have to go to tomorrow.

No events pertaining to drive errors in the Event log are present, which leads to me believe that something is wrong with Retrospect.

What can I do?

Error -105 (unexpected end of data) has happened on 2 individual backup sets so far. It has never happened in the past with version 7, 7.5 or 7.6 when we were below the 1TB threshold.

No one answered my question about the 1TB retrospect volume size limit since I posted it on May 15th.

Thanks,

The error sounds like a problem with the backup device itself. You can try another backup device to see what happens. You may also want to call tech support directly for help with this error.

Retrospect has no volume size limit. Multi-TB backup sets is very common with Retrospect.

physical sets consist of 4 hard drives configured in a single Server 2003 dynamic volume.

A little while ago we were running out of space, so we added another 250GB drive to each of our physical sets

So each set now has 5 drives? 5 drives would mean you have these volumes configured as RAID5, which is good and you can ignore me. :) If you meant that you now have 4, then these would be spanned volumes and that's not as good. It would mean if a drive fails, a whole volume may be lost.

Yesterday I spent time manually removing ~200GB of old useless snapshots in 1 of our sets(1 at a time by clicking forget each time) and then launched the groom to delete the actual data when I left work.

I come in the next day, the groom went fine ~230GB groomed, no errors, so I go back in the set and remove the remaining snapshops I wanted to remove, launch another groom, again all is fine. So I leave it at that ~250GB free on the volume, all is good and ready for the 12:00pm start ouur daily backups of the offices.

So the 2 scripts execute at 12pm each in their own execution unit, 1 backing up pcs to Set-A-PCs and 1 to backup macs Set-A-Macs.

They both store the backed up data to the same physical Set A which as I said is 4x ~300GB drives spanned.

The Mac script launches without a hitch and completes without errors.

The PC script stops right at the beginning with a now very familiar error:

+ Normal backup using Windows at 6/5/2009 12:00 PM (Execution unit 2)

6/5/2009 12:31:38 PM: Execution stopped by operator

Total duration: 00:31:31

These spanned hard drives are used to backup 3 backup scripts, servers that run at 4am and the pc and mac scripts that run at 12:00pm.

Why do 2 of these always run fine(mac and servers) and the 3rd one PCs doesn't to the exact same hardware? If it was the hard drives, the other scripts would fail as well, wouldn't they?The PC data has been re-catalogged several times over the years, so it can't be the catalog. Would grooming be the issue?

I'm getting a little frustrated here.

Last night I got the same error on a backup set containing 497Gb data. Deleting rbc files, recatalog ect. did not help, so I have recycled the backup set and now doing a full new backup.

I think only a recycle helps on this issue. I have had this issue a couple of times over the last 2 years. I guess it is a bug in retrospect.

Robert