Retrospect Tech Needed - Please!

rjh213

I'll pay for support if someone from Retrospect can assure me I've done something wrong and they can help me.

I reloaded Windows XP from my original CD, installed updates to get it to the level it was at when my backup was taken, then did a full volume restore. It completed with no execution errors. However, on the reboot, I get the following:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

Did I do something wrong, or is this a bug with the Retrospect software? I'm desperate for help as my PC is worthless at the moment.

Not sure why the link I posted isn't working. I had the site bookmarked and did a copy and paste. Anyway, the article said that if you format the hard drive (which I did) you lose the boot.ini file because Retrospect can't copy it on a backup (on a Dell, which I have) so it doesn't get restored. I need to save the boot.ini after my clean Windows install, then after the restore completes but before the reboot is done, put the boot.ini back. I'll try that.

if you format the hard drive (which I did) you lose the boot.ini file

It isn't the boot.ini file that can't be copied. It is the hidden partition that can't be backed up. We restore the boot.ini, but the restored file will not match your hardware configuration.