Need Restore Help

rjh213

I get the following errors after doing a full volume restore:

"No registry to restore", "No COM+ Class Registration database to restore from this Snapshot" "No WMI Repository to restore from this Snapshot" and "No Removable Storage Manager to restore from this Snapshot".

Anyone know what they mean? Additionally, I got a warning from Windows that some system files were unrecognized versions, and when I attempted to restart Windows after the restore, I got a boot error and couldn't even come up. I have to reload the OS and try the restore again.

Does the OS need to be at exactly the same release as when I took the backup? If so, is there a way I can look at anything in the backup data sets to see what OS patches I had in place? This is Windows XP.

Is there anyone who understands what is going on here? This is the first restore I've ever attempted and I wonder if it will ever work or if I am just wasting my time.

Update - I reloaded XP again and applied all Windows updates, then did another restore. I still got the 4 execution errors mentioned above from Retrospect, but I didn't get any warnings from Windows about unrecognized system files. However, when I restart, Windows fails to come up. The error I get is:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

So is my problem caused by the execution errors I got from Retrospect, or did I mess something up when I reloaded XP and I somehow changed the boot process which now won't work since I did a full volume restore.

I'll pay for support help, but I don't want to pay a Microsoft tech and have them tell me the problem is with Retrospect, and I don't want to pay a Retrospect tech and have them tell me it's an XP problem from my reload.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.