1017 Error fix

tbrox

I looked high and low for 2 days before I came upon this fix. I want to share it here since I didn't find any helpful info here. The problem is the MS software shadow copy provider service will not start. Here is what fixed the problem for me. I hope this posting will help someone else.

This may not be applicable to your situation, however might be worth a look. I have had similar problems with VSS on XP machines that turned out to be caused by the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Service (SwPrv). You should be able to manually start and stop both VSS and SwPrv (net start vss) (net start SwPrv). If VSS manually starts OK, but you get an error when trying to start SwPrV, then you could have a permissions problem with it (account used to start it? should be system account), or a registry error with the services command line. I have run across several situations with XP machines where the command line for the SwPrv service is incorrect.

Possible Solution (these instructions are for XP)

Open Control Panel, Administrative Tools, COMPONENT Services

Inside the Console Root folder, goto COMPONENT Services -> Computers -> My Computer -> Com+ Applications.

On the top toolbar, click on View, Status (or click the Status button on the toolbar).

You will see all Com+ applications and their statuses including the Application ID and the PID (if currently running).

Make a note of the Application ID for the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider entry.

Next check the command line used for the SwPrv service. Navigate back to the top root folder. Inside the Console Root folder, goto Services (local). Note, you can also get here from Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

Find the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Service and double click on it. Notice the Path to Executable field. It will have an entry similar to the following:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllhost.exe /Processid:{xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

Check to make sure that the GUID inside the curly brackets is the exact same as what you found in the Application ID in the first step. If it isn't, then this is what is preventing the service from starting.

To correct, open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SwPrv

Double click on the ImagePath value and make the necessary correction.

It is obviously a good idea to export a backup reg file of the above key in case you make a mistake or need to restore the original settings.