Assertion failure at elem.cpp-993

LDWill

I am running Retrospect Express HD for Windows, version 2.5.113, under Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3. Backups ran without problems for several months, but since my last successful backup on 8th April, I have been receiving the error message "Assertion failure at elem.cpp-993" after about five minutes at the "Preparing ..." message and before starting to write the backup data.

The entry in assert_log.utx starts as follows (I can send it all to you if you wish):

----------- Start of log extract ---------

OS: Windows XP version 5.1 (build 2600), Service Pack 3, (32 bit)

Application: C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect Express HD 2.5\retrospect.exe, version 2.5.113

Exception occurred on 01/05/2009 at 14:24:29

Error info: Assertion failure at "elem.cpp-993"

Exception code: e0000000 ASSERTION

Fault address: 7c812afb 0001:00011afb

Thread ID: 161c, Name: Execution thread

EAX:05f866a0 CS:001b EIP:7c812afb EFlags:00000206

EBX:00000002 SS:0023 ESP:05f8669c EBP: 05f866f0

ECX:00000000 DS:0023 ESI:05f86730 FS: 003b

EDX:00000001 ES:0023 EDI:05f86730 GS: 0000

----------- End of log extract ---------

I have tried rebuilding the catalogue after deleting the .rbc file, which completed OK; I deleted the incomplete backups (marked with a red triangle) and the system then "recovered disk space" and recovered all other backups. This did not cure the problem.

I have uninstalled Retrospect Express HD and reinstalled it, both as a simple uninstall from Windows control panel and also after deleting the directories it creates in Program Files and C:\Documents and settings\All users\Application data\RetroExp.

I uninstalled RE HD, deleted all registry entries that mentioned Retro Express and ran a registry check, restarted Windows and reinstalled.

I ran chkdsk /f on my hard disc, with no errors reported.

None of these steps has cured the problem.

Any more ideas?

Is this a known problem in RE HD, or a problem of its interaction with some other software on my system? Is there any specific software that it is known not to get along with?

Yours, frustrated,

Leonard Will

P.S. Why do you provide such a tiny editing window for messages in this forum? It's impossible to see more than a few lines at a time, and to format messages sensibly. More space would be much more useful than your collection of icons and smilies! :-(