Error 102 Trouble communicating....

I just started a new job after the previous IT person quit. I am not super savvy when it comes to setting up backup strategies, but I am a fairly capable user once something is in place.

The server I need to backup is running windows server 2008. The tape drive is a built in single tape drive model Supermicro Sony Storstation.

I have been told this unit is new, but every time I try to set up a backup set using the tape drive I get an error 102 trouble communicating with device. I have tried 2 new tapes, the problem must be somewhere with the communication of the device.

The tape rewinds & erases, but the device will not write data to the tape. I am backing up my data to a drive, but they want me to use the tape backup.

Can someone please help me?

Edited by Guest

Couple things you can try:

Run a new cleaning tape a bunch of times

Update the firmware of the tape drive

Update the I/O controller driver that the drive is plugged into.

Under device manager you shouldn't install windows drivers for the tape drive, they typically show as Other devices. Retrospect uses whatever drivers are included with it and will fight manually installed windows drivers.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure how to update the firmware or the I/O controller driver... can you help with that?

Also you said that under device manager I shouldn't install windows drivers for the tape drive... When I go to Device Manager, the drive is indeed under Other devices, according to your post that is where it needs to be, but I'm not sure what you recommend I do regarding the drivers here. Should I uninstall/reinstall these drivers?

Please forgive me for knowing so little about this situation, but I just started a new gig & no one was taking care of the backup so it just fell into my lap.

updated the drivers for this device. In device manager it ussed to fall under other devices, now it shows up in tape drives.

but I still get the same error 102 trouble communicating. I have tried another tape, I have cleaned the drive, it was posted above to update the firmware or the I/O controller driver, I'm not sure how to do that. did updating the driver cover those bases

it was posted above to update the firmware or the I/O controller driver, I'm not sure how to do that. did updating the driver cover those bases

No.

Chr1s, I say this with no disrespect, but you are way over your head. I suggest that you get someone in to help you who understands the basics about computers and computer hardware.

Russ