Recreate Catalog File?

from the failed grooming log:

Grooming Media Set QNAP Backup failed, error -1002 ( unknown Mac OS error)QNAP Backup failed, error -1002 (%s)]

You must recreate the Media Set's Catalog File.

See the Retrospect User's Guide or online help for details on recreating Catalog Files.

Is "recreate" the same as "rebuild"? Or does it mean I delete the media set and create it again?

After a 40-hour catalog rebuild, no luck on the groom. Here are the logs.

Catalog Rebuild operation:

+ Executing Recatalog at 5/4/2009 1:31 PM (Execution unit 1)%s at 5/4/2009 1:31 PM (Execution unit 1)]

To Media Set QNAP Backup...

!Generated MD5 digest for file "[file on computer #1]" does not match stored MD5 digest.

!Generated MD5 digest for file "[file on external drive attached to computer #2]" does not match stored MD5 digest.

!Generated MD5 digest for file "[file on external drive attached to computer #2]" does not match stored MD5 digest.

!Generated MD5 digest for file "[file on computer #3]" does not match stored MD5 digest.

!Generated MD5 digest for file "[file on computer #4]" does not match stored MD5 digest.

!Generated MD5 digest for file "[file on computer #5]" does not match stored MD5 digest.

5/6/2009 4:43:58 AM: 6 execution errors

Completed: 41112 files, 1386.1 GB

Performance: 607.3 MB/minute

Duration: 1 15:12:48 (00:16:03 idle/loading/preparing)

Subsequent groom operation:

+ Executing Grooming at 5/6/2009 10:22 AM (Execution unit 1)

Grooming Media Set QNAP Backup...

MapError: unknown Mac error 22

TMacFileLoc::Delete: UDeleteFile failed, /Volumes/Backup-1/Retrospect/QNAP Backup/1-QNAP Backup/AA000000.rdb, oserr 22, error -1002

Groomed zero KB from Media Set QNAP Backup.

Grooming Media Set QNAP Backup failed, error -1002 ( unknown Mac OS error)QNAP Backup failed, error -1002 (%s)]

You must recreate the Media Set's Catalog File.

See the Retrospect User's Guide or online help for details on recreating Catalog Files.

5/6/2009 10:28:34 AM: Execution incomplete

Duration: 00:06:09 (00:02:29 idle/loading/preparing)

Needless to say, I'd really rather not rebuild the catalog once again as the groom log suggests. Thoughts?

The media set has 77 backups on it (though only 33 show up in the 'Backups' tab), with 41,000 files totaling 1404.8Gb.

It's a disk media set with 1 member, which is a folder on a QNAP brand RAID NAS.

Reported free space on the media set is 1,342Gb, but that doesn't take into account other non-retrospect files on the volume. Actual free space is 632Gb (as reported for the volume in Sources tab).

Free space on the internal disk running the engine is 78Gb.

Keep catalog compressed is not checked, nor is enable fast catalog rebuild (it's grayed out and not check-able)

Thanks!

By the way - now whenever I try to run a backup script I get

!Trouble matching [volume name] on [computer name] to QNAP Backup, error -1026 ( resource not found)[volume name] on [computer name] to QNAP Backup, error -1026 (%s)

I tried to fix this with a Repair, but the same thing still happens. Happens with local sources as well as sources on clients.

While I was repairing I did notice though that the member in the media set reported having 1 groomed file (in spite of groom operations always having failed as above)

Edited by Guest

OK, some developments.

My trial was expiring and, because of the issues I'm having, I wasn't ready to purchase yet. So long story short, new license code and a completely fresh start (full reinstall, deleted all config, cleared the backup target NAS).

When I ran initial backups for the machines over this past weekend, they all completed successfully. But they all had between 1 and 5 files not match the MD5 in the verification phase (scripts are configured with MD5 check). No discernible pattern to the files, and I'm thinking it's not an in-use or modification issue as this was done on the weekend.

Is this something I should be concerned about, or are a couple of MD5 mismatches just par for the course?

Haha true enough. We're a video production house so it was mostly MOVs (ranging from raw footage to render files to final exports) and there was one CR2 (Canon raw photo). No pattern on modified dates (one is last week, one is November...).

Why don't I run incrementals on them and see if the problem crops up again. If there's an MD5 mismatch, and then I run a backup again, it'll either throw the same error or fix the problem right?

Edit: Missed your response Mayoff. I'll try the new update when it rolls out. But if a couple of mismatches is normal then I'm not too concerned.

Edited by Guest

Ran scripts on a few computers again. As expected, files that previously had MD5 mismatches were re-sent to the media set in this operation. Verification completed successfully.

Now hopefully the old data from the mismatched versions doesn't hang around and corrupt my future groom operations... we shall see... ;-)

I'll report back once I've taken this week's update for a spin