Incremental backup problem

What if you made a copy of the folder, but put it in *this* path:

/Volumes/File Server/Shared Items/Archives2/Perret/99-06 Le Crêt/Décomptes finaux

(note -- make "Archives2" instead of Archives?)

If that fails, try "Perret2"?

If that fails, try "99-06 Le Cret2"?

etc...

Or, if you think the problem is "Shared Items", what about:

/Volumes/File Server/Shared Items/Décomptes finaux

Works? Or not?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you made a copy of the folder, but put it in *this* path:

/Volumes/File Server/Shared Items/Archives2/Perret/99-06 Le Crêt/Décomptes finaux

(note -- make "Archives2" instead of Archives?)

It works. No duplicate backup even if I share Archives2 as a Share point.

If that fails, try "Perret2"?

If that fails, try "99-06 Le Cret2"?

etc...

Or, if you think the problem is "Shared Items", what about:

/Volumes/File Server/Shared Items/Décomptes finaux

Works? Or not?

It works. No duplicate backup.

Note that "Share Items" is not a Share point.

Weird.

So *this renaming of a folder in the original path fails*:

But if you make a copy of this:

Décomptes finaux

and *manually* create the path of:

Then the backup works without duplicated backups??

(This would mean that "Archives 2", "Perret" and "99-06 Le Crêt" are all empty in the manually created path, right?)

IF SO --

in your *original* path...

what happens if you just move (temporarily) everything out of the "Archives", "Perret" and "99-06 Le Crêt" directories?

Can you back up the target without duplication at that point?

I'm wondering if the scan is having a problem on some other file/folder in your path and not the "Décomptes finaux" folder specifically.

And, from looking back at this -- I didn't see your response to trying to test backing up "Décomptes finaux" as a "Favorite Folder" only. Did that work? Or does that backup duplicates, too?

Weird.

So *this renaming of a folder in the original path fails*:

But if you make a copy of this:

Décomptes finaux

and *manually* create the path of:

Then the backup works without duplicated backups??

(This would mean that "Archives 2", "Perret" and "99-06 Le Crêt" are all empty in the manually created path, right?)

It works. No duplicate backups.

IF SO --

in your *original* path...

what happens if you just move (temporarily) everything out of the "Archives", "Perret" and "99-06 Le Crêt" directories?

Can you back up the target without duplication at that point?

I'm wondering if the scan is having a problem on some other file/folder in your path and not the "Décomptes finaux" folder specifically.

Backup duplicates.

And, from looking back at this -- I didn't see your response to trying to test backing up "Décomptes finaux" as a "Favorite Folder" only. Did that work? Or does that backup duplicates, too?

What do you mean with a Favorite folder only ?

Thanks for your help.

If you "browse" the client Source hard disk, you can choose a subfolder to be a "Favorite Folder".

So, in your case, you could choose "Décomptes finaux" to be a "volume" that you back up only.

this would have the result that Retrospect would *only* scan that folder for backup.

I'm still thinking there's a hidden file in one of your path folders that the program may be barfing on.

Where you did this:

What if you go into those now-empty folders and run and delete the hidden ".DS_Store" files in each folder.

Do an "ls -la" with Terminal in each folder so there's nothing in it...

If you "browse" the client Source hard disk, you can choose a subfolder to be a "Favorite Folder".

So, in your case, you could choose "Décomptes finaux" to be a "volume" that you back up only.

this would have the result that Retrospect would *only* scan that folder for backup.

OK. That's the way I always use...

I'm still thinking there's a hidden file in one of your path folders that the program may be barfing on.

Where you did this:

What if you go into those now-empty folders and run and delete the hidden ".DS_Store" files in each folder.

Do an "ls -la" with Terminal in each folder so there's nothing in it...

Terminal with volumes, spaces and special characters is a pleasure ;-)

I did it. All the parents folders were empty except Décomptes finaux. All .DS_Store files were deleted but TemporaryItems folders still there.

Backup duplication :-(

First backup : 10 files completed

Second and following backups : 8 files completed

Maser,

You think that it could be a problem of hidden files, but don't you think that it is rather a problem with the fact that these folders are shared under Leopard Server ?

As I wrote before, this backup duplication doesn't occur when the same folder is located in a non-shared volume.

I was thinking about a permission problem. The authorizations are selected as follow :

Authorizations

I never changed these authorizations, but...

Is there a problem here ?

Maser,

You think that it could be a problem of hidden files, but don't you think that it is rather a problem with the fact that these folders are shared under Leopard Server ?

Is there a problem here ?

I can't say that there's *not* a problem with non-English OSX *Server*.

However, I do a complete backup of my 10.5.8 xServe daily and I only get the incrementally changed files backed up -- unless I manually reset permissions on the sharepoints using Server Admin for some reason.

Oh, and from your Authoriziations screen shot, the only "problem" I see is you have a GUID set for the first level permissions rather than an actual user account.

Is that intentional?

If so, you might try setting a *different* folder with the *exact same* permissions and see if you can replicate the backup duplication.

If so, then maybe EMC could replicate that?

So, if you *stop* the folder from being a SharePoint -- do you still get duplication?

And do you actually have a *user* called "Spotlight" (what you have in the ACL section?)

I don't have anything similar in my sharepoint sub folder permissions for ACLs -- either I have individual "admin" accounts -- or group folders.

So, if you *stop* the folder from being a SharePoint -- do you still get duplication?

Yes.

But if I move the folder at the same level than "Shared Items" (so not in Shared Folders as all share points), the problem does not occur....

And do you actually have a *user* called "Spotlight" (what you have in the ACL section?)

It's created when selecting the option under the "Share points" menu.

I'd try resetting the permissions on the folder (and "propogate all permissions") and see if that makes any difference.

I've not seen the "Spotlight" user created, but I've always set my permissions manually for my subfolders/share points...

The other thing to try -- move that folder to another folder outside of "Shared Items" and make *that* folder a new Share Point. You say it doesn't duplicate if it's not in "Shared Items" -- but I can't recall if you tested moving this folder and *then* setting it as a SharePoint (sharepoints can be anywhere -- not just in "shared items"...)

Huh. not on any of my shares.

I don't even see Spotlight as a user I could *add* via S.A.

Oh, wait -- now I do. My server is an OD master, so my users/groups are OD groups. I see that there's a "Local" spotlight user.

my sharepoints are *not* set to "enable spotlight searching". Might that be the difference here?

I wonder if that has anything to do with the duplicate backups then. That would be something that could be reproduced by Jacques then.

On the original sharepoint causing the problem: deselect that "enable spotlight searching" check box and remove the Spotlight user -- does that make any difference?

(It *shouldn't*, but...)

I'd try resetting the permissions on the folder (and "propogate all permissions") and see if that makes any difference.

I've not seen the "Spotlight" user created, but I've always set my permissions manually for my subfolders/share points...

Resseting the permissions doesn't make any différence. Backup duplication...

The other thing to try -- move that folder to another folder outside of "Shared Items" and make *that* folder a new Share Point. You say it doesn't duplicate if it's not in "Shared Items" -- but I can't recall if you tested moving this folder and *then* setting it as a SharePoint (sharepoints can be anywhere -- not just in "shared items"...)

I created a new share point "Archives3" at the same level than "Shared Items" and put in the folder with the same path :

Archives3/Perret/99-06 Le Crêt/Décomptes finaux

It works ! No backup duplication.

Should I try to remove the "Shared Items" folder (that I never created) ?

Thanks again for your help

"Shared Items" is created by the installation of OSX Server. You don't have to use it for share points (I don't -- I have a folder called "Groups" at my root level as my main share point).

However, to satisfy my curiosity about this...

What if you made another folder called "Shared Itemz" (note the spelling difference) and moved your dupe-backup folder/path into that?

So the path would be:

/Volumes/File Server/Shared Itemz/Archives/Perret/99-06 Le Crêt/Décomptes finaux

And then set the permissions to be *exactly the same* all the way down the line for all the subfolders as the "problem" folder -- starting at the share point level -- so all permissions on "Archives" and "Perret", etc -- are exactly the same as what wasn't working properly?

Duplicate backup or not?

IF SO:

What if you change "Shared Itemz" to "Share"?

Same problem?

"Shared Items" is created by the installation of OSX Server. You don't have to use it for share points (I don't -- I have a folder called "Groups" at my root level as my main share point).

However, to satisfy my curiosity about this...

What if you made another folder called "Shared Itemz" (note the spelling difference) and moved your dupe-backup folder/path into that?

So the path would be:

/Volumes/File Server/Shared Itemz/Archives/Perret/99-06 Le Crêt/Décomptes finaux

And then set the permissions to be *exactly the same* all the way down the line for all the subfolders as the "problem" folder -- starting at the share point level -- so all permissions on "Archives" and "Perret", etc -- are exactly the same as what wasn't working properly?

Duplicate backup or not?

Yes. With these permissions

IF SO:

What if you change "Shared Itemz" to "Share"?

Same problem?

Yes

Restesting the backup of my last post doesn't work anymore.....

Duplication.

But, setting the permissions on all the folders and sub-folders like this corrects the problem and it works...

So, it seems to be a permission problem.

First difference between the two sets is ACL. Is it mandatory to set ACL permissions ?

The other difference is that our server is logged under the "leopard" account (the same as the POSIX owner) when it works.

The other permission set is under the "diradmin" account as POSIX owner and it doesn't work.

First difference between the two sets is ACL. Is it mandatory to set ACL permissions ?

No. ACL permissions are not required. That said, I have ACL and POSIX permissions on all my share points and subfolders and I don't see your problem.

Have you updated your server to 10.5.8?

I might suggest the following to see if it helps:

1) install the combo 10.5.8 updater

2) *Reset* all the permissons and "propogate" them starting from the sharepoint down.

Once you have the permissions reset again, then test it.

It's really odd that it seems to make a difference depending on which account you are logged into the server at the console with!

I'm assuming the "diradmin" account is an *OD* account, right? Not another "local" admin account?

I'm going to try replicating that here. I have something I can test with where I log in to a test server with those two separate accounts...

Hmm...

I could not replicate any duplicate backup.

I set up my "groups" folder as a Favorite folder.

I logged into my server using my "localadmin" account and ran a backup -- backed up 218 files to a new media set (though I am backing up the server as a *client* -- I'm running Retrospect engine on another machine -- not the server...)

At the server, I logged out of that account and logged in with my OD "diradmin" account.

Ran another backup to the same media set -- 0 files backed up (as expected)

logged out of "diradmin" and back into "localadmin" -- ran another backup -- 0 files backed up (as expected).

you are seeing the opposite, right?

Edited by Guest