Cannot rebuild catalogues

Hi

For the first few years using retrospect I used AIT tape storage(2003/5).I have 3 backupsets with each ones' data

spread across 10 tapes (I realize now this was risky but I was sold the system as an "expandable hard drive").I now use external hard drives with no problems.

Disaster!! I've managed to loose the catalogues for these 3 crucial backupsets.Should be able to "rebuild from tapes"

but if fails every time on all three backup sets and all tapes!!

I've had this issue for a while and paid £50 to emc for support

with out success then the ait drive failed!I've had a new drive

fitted now (£350!!) and still have the issue.

Can anyone help pleeeease.....

Is there no other way of getting the files of the tapes without a catalogue?

All the tapes and backupsets can't be damaged surely and I have now ruled out the drive being the fault.

thanks in advance

onz

Is there no other way of getting the files of the tapes without a catalogue?

A catalog, which is a database index of the files on the tape, is a prerequisite to being able to get files off of the tapes. Without a valid catalog, there is no hope to retrieve the files from the tapes.

You really haven't provided enough information for anyone to attempt to help you. Missing information is the version (x.x.x) of Retrospect that created the tapes, the version (x.x.x) of Retrospect that you are now running, the version of MacOS (x.x.x) on your computer now, the precise AIT drive used to create the backups and how it was connected to the computer, the precise AIT drive you now have and how it is connected to your computer, and the hardware of your computer now.

However, I will take a wild guess, because we have been using Retrospect since version 2.0.

The years that you mention for your backups (2003-2005) indicates that an old version of Retrospect was used for these backups. There has been mention in these forums that current versions of Retrospect (6.1.x and 8.x) cannot read Retrospect 4.x and older backup sets.

My suggestion would be to fire up a PowerPC MacOS 9.x computer and to load Retrospect 5.1 with its last-issued RDU:

Retrospect older version archive

If your current AIT drive is one that is supported by Retrospect 5.1, then you should be able to rebuild the catalogs from the tapes. Then you could transfer the backup sets to a new backup set for whatever backup medium you now have, and use Retrospect 6.1.x to transfer those backup sets to a 6.1.x backup set (the older backup sets will be read-only because of changes in backup set format).

That's the best suggestion I can make in the absence of any facts from you.

Russ

Thanks Russ

That's pretty solid advice.I will try rebuilding the catalogues

in 0S9 using vs5.It is actually the same AIT drive(glyoh) but

with a replacement set of innards.I have always used firewie

to connect and I'm pretty sure I started on vs 5 and now use