1 GB RAM limitation?

OK, this may be a stupid question, but I have to ask.

I could have sworn that I read on either here or the knowledge base that retrospect was limited to using only 1 GB of physical RAM and the rest would be virtual memory. I've never seen the peak memory usage go much over 1 GB in windows task manager...

Is there any truth to this, or was I just smoking something?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Robin,

When speaking to support on the phone I was told that Retrospect would use a certain percentage of memory. I recall 30%, but I am probably wrong.

Would you let us know, for the record, how Retrospect decided how much memory and CPU to limit itself to? I would also appreciate knowing if these limits can be overridden.

Thanks,

Dan

Retrospect is a 32 bit program and can't use more then 2 GB of physical RAM, but that does not mean your computer should only have 2 GB. You need additional RAM for the OS. A 4GB RAM computer will run well. You also need 10 to 15 GB of free disk space on the C: drive for each execution you are running.

Retrospect is a 32 bit program and can't use more then 2 GB of physical RAM, but that does not mean your computer should only have 2 GB. You need additional RAM for the OS. A 4GB RAM computer will run well. You also need 10 to 15 GB of free disk space on the C: drive for each execution you are running.

When you say C: drive, do you really mean whatever drive we installed retrospect on? Or is it hard programmed to use some folder on C:? Also, what might retrospect be writing to the C: that would take up to 15 GB per execution?

Thanks in advance!