Delete backup sets

antoinearch

I have run out of room on the removable hard drive used for the retrospect backups. I deleted about 8 old sessions (tried to anyway) but I have not gained any storage room. What is the best way to do this?

More Info: Using retrospect Express 6.5.

I create a new backup each month, then do an incremental every day. New backup at the beginning of the month, and so on. I am trying to delete some of the oldest to get some room. I deleted (forgot) a few inside of retrospect but the space is not recovered.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

When I try to delete the folder containing the rdb files I get a message stating I need permission from unix user\nobody and am prevented from deleting the files and folder. My account has admin rights but that doesn't seem to help. It also does not allow me to add my account with full permissions. What do I need to do???

You’re right, I should have provided more details, sorry. It is an Iomega StoreCenter IX2 drive, which is NAS. They provide a web client for setting up users and shared folders. The backup software is Retrospect Express HD 2.1.

But I eventually solved my problem on my own. I tried several things so it is hard to tell exactly which of them needed to be done:

1) Using the web client I ‘enabled security’ on the ‘Backups’ folder (all Retrospect files for my 3 machines reside in this folder). I received a warning that Retrospect would not be able to access the drive if security was enabled but I did it anyways.

2) Most of the files were read-only so I removed the read-only attribute for the files and folders I wanted to delete.

3) I deleted the folders and files I no longer wanted.

4) Using the web client I ‘disabled security’ on the ‘Backups’ folder.

5) I then had to reboot all 3 machines before Retrospect would display the ‘restore points’.

I think steps 1 & 4 were necessary. I can change the read-only attribute now with security disabled but the ‘Everyone’ account now has full control permissions and it had no permissions prior to step 1.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem in trying to free up space on my network attached disk drive.

I'm using Retrospect Express 7.6.2.101 with an Iomega StorCenter 1TB disk drive.

I forgot the backup sets and deleted the catalog files. I now want to delete the backup files themselves from the backup media.

When I access the drive via Explorer, all the backup files are listed (e.g. AA000000.rdb). However, when I try to delete the file, I get the following message:

Cannot find the specified file.

Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

I cannot change the attributes (currently read only) or do anything else with the files. Any ideas?

• 3 months later...

I have just the same problem. My users want to be able to access their backed-up files directly, not via restore.

I have over 100Gb in the Retrospect Restore Points and I am unable to reclaim it. I use an IOmega NAS - just to make life more difficult.

I have told Retrospect to delete the restore points until there are none there. After leaving Retrospect to sort its act out for a while, the folder and the 100Gb are still there. They have all kinds of permissions on them and I just cannot get rid of them.

What's next?

P