Restore Errors 1014

Hi - I needed to move 8000 files form one location to another so rather than copy I did a backup to a new media set and a restore to an empty directory - I get 22 errors most of which are

[color:red]can't write, error -1014 ( name already exists)/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/john/Documents/My Open University/._8 Question 2": can't write, error -1014 (%s)][/color]

Which can't be true as they don't already exist !

Any ideas ???

I needed to move 8000 files form one location to another so rather than copy I did a backup to a new media set and a restore to an empty directory

This is such a skeleton question. "One location to another"? From Madagascar to Tunisia? From one hard drive to another hard drive on the same machine? From a hard drive on one machine to a hard drive on another machine? What machine running the Retrospect Engine? How is the Source formatted? How is the Destination formatted?

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Answers can't come without compete questions...

Dave

From internal HDD on Imac to external USB drive MAC formatted

What we now know:

Copy from "internal HDD" (boot volume?) to external drive on same machine causes "can't write, error -1014 ( name already exists)" errors.

- Is the machine the two drive are on the drive that is running the Retrospect engine?

- How is the Source volume drive formatted?

- How is the Destination volume drive formatted ("MAC" is not a formatting type)?

Similar errors with copy

[color:red]

+ Duplicate using Copy at 4/12/2009 8:44 AMCopy at 4/12/2009 8:44 AM]

To volume John...

4/12/2009 8:44:04 AM: Copying Documents

MapError: unknown Mac error 30

TMacFileLoc::Delete: UDeleteFile failed, /Volumes/John-1/.DS_Store, oserr 30, error -1002

TMacFileLoc::Delete: UDeleteFile failed, /Volumes/John-1/.DS_Store, oserr 30, error -1002

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/john/Documents/.DS_Store": can't write, error -1002 ( unknown Mac OS error)/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/john/Documents/.DS_Store": can't write, error -1002 (%s)]

*File "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/john/Documents/My Excel/2008/._Passwords.xls": can't write, error -1014 ( name already exists)/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/john/Documents/My Excel/2008/._Passwords.xls": can't write, error -1014 (%s)][/color]

restoring to a FAT 32

I am a little confused. At one point your said the destination was "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

If the destination is a FAT32 volume, then that would explain the errors. The file system is having trouble with some aspect of your data. The errors are coming from the OS, not Retrospect.