Backup Set problem

Since yesterday, my backups are failing. They ask for the disk that the backup is on. But that disk is already connected and can be browsed in Windows Explorer. I've tried verify media, and it just asks for the disk to be be inserted even though it already is.

When I try to repair the catalog-->Update existing Catalog File it completes successfully but it still will not verify. If I try repair catalog --> Repair file Backup Set, it asks for the catalog file which I select and get the error "Can't use a valid non-file Backup Set to Recreate. So, I try repair catalog--> recreate from disks. I choose all disks. Then it asks me to choose the disk and it tells me The Selected disk does not contain any Backup Set Data files. But it does.

What is wrong and how do I fix it?

Chad

What started as a problem with one backup set has now grown to all my sets. When a scripted or proactive backup now runs it hangs on the Preparing to Execute step after scanning the source and matching it with the backup set. Retrospect appears to have crashed. The rest of Windows is functioning. There are no errors messages in the Retrospect log. There are no errors in the Windows logs.

I am running the latest version of Retrospect 7.6 (7.6.2.101) And Windows SBS 2003 with the latest patches.

What could be the problem here and how do I fix it?

Chad

Edited by Guest

After 15 hours the recatalog completed successfully. I restarted me backup scripts (after re-adding the backup set as a destination and then adding to the schedule. The backup started. There are two source computers on the script. The first was powered off and reported as an error. The second one is online. It has been saying "Preparing to execute" for 2 hours now. There are no errors in Windows or Retrospect, aside for the one computer that could not be found.

This backup job is scripted, and is holing up a proactive job, as they both use the same backup set.

Chad

I finally had to give up waiting and ended the Retrospect Tasks in task manager. After re-launching the application, I stopped all waiting scripts and started only the Proactive backup. I have Backup Set A installed. The Proactive Script is set to backup to Backup Set A and Backup Set B. I rotate these backups on a weekly basis. The proactive backup started and began backing up the source called 'Dell" which has two drives. Below is an outline of the backup process:

Started 8:24pm 1of2

8:25 Scanning

8:47 Preparing to execute

8:49 Matching

8:55 Preparing to Execute

8:56 Copying

9:08 Updating Catalog file

9:10 Building Snapshot

9:20 Comparing

9:26 Closing

2 of 2

9:33 Scanning

9:35 Preparing to Execute

9:36 Copying

9:50 Updating Catalog file

9:0 Building Snapshot

9:51 Colsing

9:51 Comparing

9:55 Closing

10:15 closing

The backup is hanging on the closing step. There are no errors in the retrospect log or Windows logs. The system is also sending me email alerts that it is waiting for Backup Set B and that grooming failed for Backup Set B.

Chad

Edited by Guest

I closed the application, Rebooted the server and deleted the Retrospect configuration files. Re-opened the application and went through the initial setup. I added the one Backup Set A, created a proactive backup containing only one client and Backup Set A. The backup completed successfully. I am currently running a scheduled backup of the server to Backup Set A.