Cannot see backup from other machine

lemayp

Hello,

I am experiencing problems restoring files from another machine. My setup is simple, I have 2 machine that used to backup to 2 different partition on mybookworld II NAS. The first machine is dead, so I want to restore this machine (Machine A) using machine B.

I did what I have found elsewhere in the forum and in the documentation. I went to the partition where my machineA used to be backup, deleted the .rbc file that were there, then start Retrospec HD 2.5 and ask it to do a Backup Maintenance over night. I did that for both partitions (the one used by the old machine to restore and the one use by my current machine). This ran properly overnight, and I can see that a 4064kb file name machineA.RBC created.

But when I try to restore, selecting that machineA from "restore from another machine", only the 7 Restore Points from my current machine are available, not the one from my other machine, althought the machine was listed and I have selected it. When attempting to restore from the data of my MachineA, I can see the file machineA.rbc.lck created..

I know the backups are good since I did that procedure 2 weeks ago to restore some part of the backup. This took places with Retrospect 2.0, and I have recently updated to 2.5.

Anyone would have some good advice on how to resolve my problem?

Thanks,

- Manikoutai

Restrospec HD 2.5

MyBookWorld II 1 T

It looks like I have been able to solve my problem with Retrospect HD 2.5. As stated before, I knew that my backups were OK since I have been able to restore from it in the past, and the latest "backup maintenance" was obviously no longer able to do its job.

Yesterday night, things got worst: Trying to start a "Backup Maintenance" would no longer start any maintenance at all. I tried different scenario to start it, but it wouldn't start

at all!!

So, here are the steps I have done to fix my situation. We are more or less at the level of hacking since I received no support help to at least investigate the problem. This is scary as

the only way to get support is using this forum, and no one even care to suggest anything or say "We are investigating and will come back to you" (i.e I don't blame the community here, but responsible from retrospect).

As I am not in front of my computer as writing this post, there might be some typo in the steps, but you'll get the idea. Maybe some steps were not necessary, but as I received no help from those knowing the product, I had to try things. I hope this could be useful to anyone:

0) Stop retrospect completely, including any running programs running as SYSTEM user.

1) Rename the folder C:\Documents Setting\All Users\Application Data\Retro Exp to "Retro Exp.OLD"

2) Recreate an empty folder "Retro Exp" at the same places as the old one.

3) Copy the file "Retro Exp.OLD"\config20.dat to "Retro Exp"\config20.dat. This to prevent restrospect to ask for the licensing information.

4) Go to where the backup files reside and delete all the .rbc files. (as documented to perform a Backup Maintenance)

5) Start Retrospect Backup. Attempt to do a Restore from my other Machine, it then tell me it need to do a backup maintenance. Let the backup maintenance run and then the files were available to be restored.

As of using the product, I am happy that I could find a workaround. Unfortunately, my experience with support using the forum was not reassuring. I understand that bugs exist in software (I am a software developper myself), but no support on a backup product is very scary, specially the day of a restore. You never know if the restore will work until the day you will need it. And you need to trust both the product and the company that create it to get help on that day...

-Manikoutai