Retrospect Express HD 2.5.113 backup does not work

ghalpert

At some point backups have stopped working. They fail sometimes with the message "There is not enough disk space to store this backup. Click here to make changes..."

If I click in the above message to make changes, nothing happens.

The log for the failed restore point corresponding to the backup is as follows:

4/6/2009 7:55:02 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:)

4/6/2009 8:09:04 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 38502 files, 10.1 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:14:01 (00:12:50 idle/loading/preparing)

My backup configuration is as follows:

Name=USB2 Drive 1 (G:)

Use for backup=up to 50%

Compression=off

Total=298.1 GB

Free=221.9 GB

Source Disk

Total=74.5 GB

Free=2.7 GB

I am running Windows XP SP2.

Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Is the low free space on the source disk the problem?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I freed up lots of room on my backup source drive and it doesn't make a difference.

Clearly nobody from EMC is interested in supporting this product on this forum.

I've used Restrospect HD for a couple of years and every once in a while it just stops working for some inexplicable reason. I'll be looking for a new product from a vendor that supports it properly and suggest others do the same. I mean what's the point in using unreliable, unsupported backup software?

ghalpert,

I think that you may be misinformed about these forums, which are user-to-user support.

Here is a quote from the Forum Rules:

This forum is a community based self help tool for users of the Retrospect Backup Software and other EMC Insignia Products. This is a Public Forum. ...

While this forum is monitored by members of the EMC Technical Support team, it is not possible to reply to all questions and threads. This forum is not an official method for contacting technical support. EMC employees are under no obligation to reply to individual forum posts. If you need immediate technical support, you can contact technical support directly at http://www.emcinsignia.com/contactsupport

I am a Retrospect user like you, but don't personally use Express HD. I suggest that you contact EMC Support. They are very good and are very helpful.

Russ

EMC's Retrospect support page has no option to contact support for Retrospect Express HD 2.5.113, or at least none that I have been able to find. So if you know a way to get support from those nice folks, please post how that can be done. I am having the same problem of getting an error message that there is not enough space on the Iomega External hard drive to back up my C drive, which is very curious since I only use 36 GB on C and have 377 GB free space on the Iomega destinaton drive for the back up. And by the way, isn't it supposed to overwrite earlier backups once there is no longer enough room on the destination drive. That is how I configured R EXP HD. Funny, it worked fine for a few months and then started giving me this error message.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.