Latest Issue - Can't communicate

Upgraded(erase and install option) my Mac OSX server from 10.4 to 10.5.6. Installed the retrospect engine 8.0.608.1...added the subnets and no clients are showing up.

I have a 2nd engine installed on a DIFFERENT 10.5.6 machine and the clients do show up. Any ideas on this one?

added the subnets and no clients are showing up

I have a 2nd engine installed on a DIFFERENT 10.5.6 machine and the clients do show up

Is the 2nd engine machine on the same subnet as the first?

Anything different about the physical/logical network infrastructure of the two machines?

Dave

CallmeDave--The machines are on different subnets. But the one I'm having an issue with was formerly a retrospect 6.1 multiserver. With no issues. Now it has been wiped clean and installed fresh, and still has issues.

As far as I know, there have been no changes to the network ports.

The machines are on different subnets.

Could you be more specific?

You're discussing:

-First Retrospect Engine machine

-Some number of Retrospect client machines

-Second Retrospect Engine machine.

So when you state "the machines" and "different subnets" it is impossible to know how many machines and how many different subnets are at issue.

> added the subnets and no clients are showing up

Is it possible that the configuration is incorrect?

Ok, sure more specific.

I'm discussing the First Retrospect Engine Machine, which was formerly a 10.4 server running Retrospect 6.1.

Upgraded to retrospect 8 and at first it saw the "sources" or "clients" or "machines". Then it just up and stopped seeing the clients.

So I upgraded to 10.5 server, an erase and install. As well as a fresh install of Retro 8. Still no "sources" or "clients" or "machines".

We have over 100 machines on our network with the retrospect client installed. A mix of Windows XP, Mac OS, and Linux. These are currently being backed up by Retrospect 7.6 for Windows.

I loaded a second 10.5 server up with retrospect 8, it seems to be able to see clients...but I haven't really set up a backup job with this one. (Yeah, I'll try that out...maybe it will stop working too.)

We have as an example subnets like this: It's one big network with those vlans.

192.168.26.x

192.168.28.x

192.168.29.x

192.168.30.x

192.168.31.x

Could be an incorrect config. At this point if I'm the only one in the world having the problem it would probably be something I'm doing wrong.

I've gotten busy at work, so haven't been messing with this 24/7...hopefully freed up some time to look at backups again.

So FYI: This thread started out with people having the same issue that I was having. Apparently they were fixed by the latest patch? (I'm running the latest right now.)

We've been running some flavor of retrospect for more than 5 years. It's ok for what it is. We sure like the proactive backups...those are nice for laptop users.

Ok, looks like it was configured "wrong". But i'm not sure how this happened.

In "Preferences" under "Network" there is a "Default" connection. Looks like your IP address for the server should show up in the Connection Column. On my First Retrospect Engine it was just a dash -

On the 2nd Retrospect Engine it had the machine IP.

So I added another connection and chose the IP from the drop down. I deleted the "default" connection and set up the subnet addresses and masks for this new connection. I can now see the sources on the network.

Could have something to do with there being 2 NIC's in the Xserve, and that I was running on the 2nd NIC. Not sure, but maybe this will help someone else with the problem.

*********Actually, nevermind. This didn't seem to fix the issue. I think I looked at Sources on my working server. Sources are still not coming up on my First Retrospect Engine. Back to the drawing board.***********

Edited by Guest

Yes, I can see clients on a different intel mac.

FYI, I took the network patch cable out of my Windows 7.6 Retrospect Server and plugged it into the Mac 8 Retrospect server and still can't see any clients. Just to try to eliminate network hardware from possible causes list.

Today, I reinstalled the 10.5 server and Retro 8. Still suffering from the problem of no clients. I briefly saw mutlicast clients, but cannot see those now.

Ok, might have figure out what my problem was.

DNS

The clients need to be able to find the server by the DNS. We needed a record in DNS for the server and a reverse lookup.

Once we added those records, I can see Sources. Now, I'll cross my fingers and see if I continue to see them after I get these scripts built.