MD5 digest mismatch errors

SETUP: Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, Xeon 3GHz, 3G RAM. Backing up to removable external hard drives via FireWire connection. Three-drive rotation, changed weekly.

PROBLEM: We've been recently getting a glut of these MD5 digest mismatch errors during verification. It's not always the same files every night, and some of the files that do come up have been unchanged for years. It flags a mismatch one night, then the next night -- even though the original file hasn't changed and we're still using the same removable drive -- the file backs up fine. Each nightly backup is done to an individual file on the removable drive, so each night is running to its own storage file... I guess that makes each run unique in its own way.

Below is a small section of the errors we've been getting. What is an MD5 digest mismatch, and does this point to any specific problem? I think one of our removable drives may be going bad, but I think the odds of two of them going bad at the same time are a bit high.

4/2/2009 4:43:44 AM: Copying Mimics on DATA (E:)

4/2/2009 4:55:39 AM: Snapshot stored, 6,950 KB

4/2/2009 4:55:42 AM: Comparing Mimics on DATA (E:)

File "E:\Mimics\Ballard-A\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ab.pst": didn't compare

An error occurred during the verification step. The MD5 digest for the file "E:\Mimics\Ballard-A\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ab.pst" did not match, error -1129 (MD5 digest mismatch)

File "E:\Mimics\Burch\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\burch.pst": didn't compare

An error occurred during the verification step. The MD5 digest for the file "E:\Mimics\Burch\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\burch.pst" did not match, error -1129 (MD5 digest mismatch)

File "E:\Mimics\Holt\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\edave.pst": didn't compare

An error occurred during the verification step. The MD5 digest for the file "E:\Mimics\Holt\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\edave.pst" did not match, error -1129 (MD5 digest mismatch)

File "E:\Mimics\Holtdata\agent_cd_minus\agentPPT-3.ppt": didn't compare

An error occurred during the verification step. The MD5 digest for the file "E:\Mimics\Holtdata\agent_cd_minus\agentPPT-3.ppt" did not match, error -1129 (MD5 digest mismatch)

4/2/2009 5:03:28 AM: 8 execution errors

Completed: 20586 files, 9.9 GB

Performance: 1095.6 MB/minute (944.8 copy, 1303.7 compare)

Duration: 00:19:43 (00:01:13 idle/loading/preparing)

• 2 months later...

I recently upgraded to 7.6.123 and am now also getting these MD5 digest mismatch items. I can guarantee that no process had any of these files open as I completely turned of the sharing and verified no open files. The list of files seems to be random.

6/17/2009 5:56:32 AM: Comparing Home on RAID0 (H:)

File "H:\Home\Downloads\Microsoft\Office11\SKU026.CAB": didn't compare

An error occurred during the verification step. The MD5 digest for the file "H:\Home\Downloads\Microsoft\Office11\SKU026.CAB" did not match, error -1129 (MD5 digest mismatch)

File "H:\Home\Media\Video\Downloads\hvaj-2of3.mpeg": didn't compare

File "H:\Home\My Media\My Video\2006\TimJumpMonarch.avi": didn't compare

File "H:\Home\Shared\Money\Before Fixing Minon Discover Card Balance Issue.M16": didn't compare

An error occurred during the verification step. The MD5 digest for the file "H:\Home\Shared\Money\Before Fixing Minon Discover Card Balance Issue.M16" did not match, error -1129 (MD5 digest mismatch)

6/17/2009 6:27:16 AM: 16 execution errors

Completed: 23700 files, 40.9 GB

Performance: 1371.5 MB/minute (1378.3 copy, 1365.5 compare)

Duration: 01:02:15 (00:01:19 idle/loading/preparing)

Edited by Guest