Sluggish performance over Fiber

meat

Yeah, that did show up in all the previous logs I've posted. I'm not entirely sure what that means though. The end result is still a failed backup, it just seems to be failing at different points in the process. Also, when I go to check the activity log I feel like I'm missing the "end" of it if you know what I mean. as in, the log just stops with no time completed or anything to that effect, even though it's clearly stopped and no longer performing the backup. Perhaps there is something I'm missing here and not understanding.

Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

I am having serious speed issues over fibre as well. My latest backups, with verification turned off and MD5 digests left on, are around 1.8 G/m. I have been told that this is an acceptable speed, but I was getting 3.2 G/m with the exact same hardware when using Retro 6. I know the hardware can perform at a much faster level than this, in 14 hours I have filled less than 2 LTO4 tapes. I'm not sure if it would help, but I have taken a sample of the processes that the Retro Engine is performing via Activity Monitor and attached it to this reply along with a full system profile. If there is any other information that will help troubleshoot this issue do not hesitate to ask.

System specifics:

• Intel Xserve (10.5.6 Server, 2 x 2Ghz, Apple Raid card, 3 x 750GB Raid 5, 10GB RAM)

• EMC Retrospect Single Server Unlimited 8.0.736

• Apple 4Ghz 4 Port FC Card (driver 2.02)

• Promise 610f 9TB (Raid 5, 4GB FC controller, connected to Apple FC card)

• HP StorageWorks 4048 LTO4 dual drive w/4GB FC controller (connected to Apple FC card)

Our server handles everything from 1x1 pixel GIFs to multi-gigabyte Photoshop and video files. As for a ratio of these I would say we have around 4% over 1GB, the majority of them are only a few MB in size. None of the files are pre-compressed, they are a composite of Photoshop, Illustrator, JPEGs, TIFF, some MSoft Office docs, spreadsheets, presentations, Final Cut, After Effects, etc. File count is 478,800 files / 4,422.5 GB.

This server was never involved with the Retro 8 Beta, first version of Retro 8 to be installed was 8.0.608. Our backups complete if given enough time, but errors result because data is changing on the active source. I have radically scaled back our backup process and have limited it to 6 rotating, weekly groups. Previously I was able to make 2 backups over the weekend, I would send one offsite and maintain another set as a local backup during the week. Now I am restricted to one backup over 4 days, with hundreds of errors because the data has changed by the time Retro has gotten to it.

[bTW, my apologies to 'meat' for hijacking this conversation, hopefully we have a similar problem and it can be resolved quickly]

There are a few compressed files (certainly a large selection of the video and audio files) but the majority of the files are regular formats per their respective application. I have not seen the list of errors that 'meat' has posted in this thread, my log contains thousands of 'can't read, -1101' because the file has been moved or deleted since the initial scan at the beginning of the backup. With the exception of the speed this program has performed exceptionally well for me, and I really would like to continue using it.

Based upon the media summaries (big thanks for this feature BTW) my backup currently in progress shows...

1-Weekend - B: 6/9/2009 7:05 PM (9hrs 23min)

2-Weekend - B: 6/10/2009 4:28 AM (8hrs 31min)

3-Weekend - B: 6/10/2009 12:59 PM (8hrs 34min)

4-Weekend - B: 6/10/2009 9:33 PM (9hrs 08min)

5-Weekend - B: 6/11/2009 6:41 AM (in progress...)

This is for 478,800 files (4,422.5 GB) over a 4GB fibre connection to an LTO4 tape library. Memory usage is considerably less than Retro 6 and I no longer have concerns that the PowerPC processes will hang the system, but the performance issue needs to be addressed before I can give this version a 'thumbs up'.

One question I have for the collective, could the Retro 6 'RetroRun' PowerPC process still running on my Intel system be interfering with the Retro 8 'RetroEngine' process and creating this speed problem? If so, what would be the best way to remove it? I still have archival content on LTO1 tapes and use Retro 6 several times a month to recover old files.

This may seem like a neophyte question, but for lack of full documentation I have not seen or read anything in the forums about co-existing Retro 6 and 8 sub-processes running concurrently, other than the applications can co-exist if you need access to the old archival content. Can the Retro 6 process be removed and still allow the application to work properly, without the scheduling functions?

could the Retro 6 'RetroRun' PowerPC process still running on my Intel system be interfering with the Retro 8 'RetroEngine' process and creating this speed problem?

No.

what would be the best way to remove (RetroRun)? I still have archival content on LTO1 tapes and use Retro 6 several times a month to recover old files.

Since you don't need to Auto-Launch Retrospect 6, disable:

Special->Preferences->Notifications->Automatically launch Retrospect

After that RetroRun will only run when the Retrospect 6.1 application runs, not all the time.

• 1 month later...

Interesting occurrence with the 'RetroRun process', I turned off the "Automatically launch Retrospect" option and it still remains running after opening and closing Retro 6 application. Since this is the only PowerPC process running on the server it stands out immediately in the Activity Monitor.

I just hope there will be an update in the future to read older tapes archived by Retro 6 (when Retro 8 is stable and the engineers are bored, LOL) so I can finally say goodbye to the old work horse. Side topic: has there been a thread started on the viability of Retro 6 tapes being accessible when Snow Leopard is released in the fall?

I turned off the "Automatically launch Retrospect" option and it still remains running after opening and closing Retro 6 application

It shouldn't.

Force quit the process from Activity Monitor, then launch/quit Retrospect 6.1 again. retrorun should live and die along with the application; does it?

No, RetroRun continues to appear in Activity Monitor once the Retro 6 application is opened and quit. I checked my Preview window and no scripts are scheduled to run. Asking the process to quit 'nicely' does not work, the process must be Force Quit.

Fortunately 8.1.148 has improved the fibre throughput, my last full backup was up to 2507.2 MB/minute, much improved from the 1730.0 MB/minute previously experienced. Once Retro 8 achieves the 3200 MB/minute I was getting with Retro 6 I'll be a happy man.

RetroRun continues to appear in Activity Monitor once the Retro 6 application is opened and quit

OK, you can choose to follow the steps I suggested and perhaps get a different end result, or follow some different steps and get the results you did. Your call.

I checked my Preview window and no scripts are scheduled to run.

Pending scripts have no relationship to the preference for retrorun to stay alive all the time.

Dave

• 4 months later...