Frustrated Newbie

Sorry if this seems dumb but I'm new to Retrospect and only recently switched to Apple. I'm now at 5hours with "Getting started" and I'm nowhere.

Everything seems to be installed but I can't see my TimeCapsule to add it to a media set. I'm using only Ethernet (no wireless). Airport utility shows an IP of 10.0.1.1 and a name of SGPTimeCapsule. So how do I add this as a member? I tried an "Add Share" under the "add member" and I specified "afp://10.0.1.1/SGPTimeCapsule.local" with appropriate username and password but all I got was "These credentials are no valid". Is this even the right way to add a TimeCapsule?

The Sources list shows "Backup of r1200" (my machine name) with the proper capacities but "browse" results in "source unavailable". I presume that this is the TimeMachine backup.

Would some kind soul please start me off with hints/links/Faqs before I tear my hair out. BTW the videos on the support page won't download/play for me (possibly corporate firewall related) so please don't suggest those.

Thanks for any help

Steve

BTW the videos on the support page won't download/play for me (possibly corporate firewall related) so please don't suggest those.

I suggest you watch the videos on the support pages.

You should make the effort to acquire these available resources before you ask others to go the extra mile to describe processes to you.

Of course, if things don't work as they should, this is the appropriate place to provide information and hopefully get some answers from other Retrospect users.

Dave

No I'm not trying to back up the TimeMachine backups with Retrospect. I was hoping that I could use the remaining 500GB of that particular 1TB TimeCapsule for Retrospect backups. Ultimately I'd completely disable TimeMachine because I find it too limited. My problem is that I can't seem to get Retrospect to recognize that device as a viable location to store backups.

Thanks

Steve

My next step after the "Getting Started" manual and scanning the forum was to watch the videos. However, the *.mov for Retrospect 8 won't play or download. Doing a "Save Link As ..." results in 2.5Kb movies so obviously something is not right. The flash based ones for 6.1 work so I'm guessing it's neither the streaming server or our corporate firewall. Is there some other way that you can recommend (e.g. ftp) by which I might be able to get my hands on them?

Thanks

Steve

Ok I starting to learn but no it didn't work. From Finder I do a cmd-k to get to "Connect to Server". If I enter "afp://SGPTimeCapsule.local" it connects and I see it in the "Shared" section of Finder. The first time I entered "afp://10.0.1.1/SGPTimeCapsule/" I got the authentication request (username password) but then I got a popup with "A volume failed to mount". Subsequent attempts only get the popup error message.

BTW, the TimeCapsule does respond to pings at 10.0.1.1 so it is alive.

Steve

Under "Media Sets" "Add member" "Add Share" (adding in my username and password) results in "This volume is unavailable".

Does it make any sense that my problem is the setup of my TimeCapsule configuration within the "AirPort Utility"? Maybe use authentication?

Steve

OK so does this absolve me of wrongdoing (i.e. this is a Retrospect/Leopard incompatibility? Or more likely, did I somehow mess up the addition of the TimeCapsule so as to invalidate the use of Retrospect? Or worst case, will Retrospect not work with a TimeCapsule which is after all, simply a NAS?

Thanks

Steve

If I enter "afp://SGPTimeCapsule.local" it connects and I see it in the "Shared" section of Finder

See what, exactly. What is the name of the share you see?

Or look in /Volumes/ and see what's listed there.

Try adding the shared volume in the path as well. For example afp://SGPTimeCapsule.local/ExampleFolder(/).

I'm thinking that maybe the name of the share point just happens to be the same name as the network device. Dunno how Time Capsule Setup works.

Maybe it has to be:

[color:red]afp://SGPTimeCapsule.local/SGPTimeCapsule/[/color]

or:

[color:red]afp://10.0.1.1/SGPTimeCapsule/[/color]

I've reset my TimeCapsule to the factory defaults and I still can't get it to work. It's especially frustrating because my second license is on a Macbook and adding a Lacie external harddrive for backup was a snap. It's just this $^&*#&^ Timecapsule configuration that's giving me grief.

Is yours setup for wireless, ethernet, or both? I set up the wireless, got an IP of 10.0.1.1, and consequently can cmd-K to mount "SPTime.local". This then appears in the "Shared" portion of Finder but that doesn't seem to help with creating a Retrospect member. If it's not too much trouble, could you describe your TimeCapsule setup?

Thanks for you patience.

Steve

I set up the wireless, got an IP of 10.0.1.1, and consequently can cmd-K to mount "SPTime.local". This then appears in the "Shared" portion of Finder but that doesn't seem to help with creating a Retrospect member. If it's not too much trouble, could you describe your TimeCapsule setup?

Seriously, if it's not too much trouble, could _you_ describe more completely exactly what you are doing?

"This then appears in the "Shared" portion of Finder"

Take literally (which is the only way online communication can be taken) it would mean that in the Finder's Sidebar you see a volume named:

SPTime.local

You're omitting steps in your report (after Command+K you enter FooServer.local, then you get an authentication dialog, then you get a "Select the volumes to mount" dialog). So if you are going to use your Finder experiences to compare against your Retrospect problems, you need to be thorough and complete in the information you provide.

"that doesn't seem to help with creating a Retrospect member"

What doesn't help? What, exactly, are you typing into the Retrospect "Add Share...->Server" field?

This is the second request I've made for more specific information from you. We know that it's not working as you expect, but we need to know what you're doing!

I am having the same problem as well. I also dropped out of the Beta program after I posted a similar message and could not get this to work. My original post ( http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/28906/post/115066/hl//fromsearch/1/ ). I thought I would try this again with the public release, but still not working. I tried the above 'AFP' addresses that apply to my system and I get a failure to connect to volume error. During one attempt, the program shut down and crashed. When I look at the 'Get Info' for my Time Capsule, it shows a very long 'AFP' address which does not work either. I would like to use this program, but I can't get my Time capsule hooked up. Any thoughts? Thanks.