can't add client, password incorrect

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I tried connecting a client and server again, without succes.

I downloaded the Retrospect-80608.dmg, that contains all the greatest and latest. First thing I did, was installing the client on a Mac OS X 10.5.6 host (Intel iMac), that never had Retrospect client installed before. After installation, a password was added and rebooted. Then I went to an other 10.5.6 Intel iMac, and installed the Retrospect engine and Managent console. When that was done, I tried adding the client to the server via Sources > Add. It still gives me an "Password incorrect" error both when trying to add it via browse subnet, or add manually.

This is the 3rd time I tried without succes, so I wonder if this function is working!?

Retrospect may incorrectly report "wrong password" when it is having trouble talking to a client. This is bug 21775 and is fixed by our engineers. The fix will be in our next release.

Check the client software itself. What status is being displayed after the login failure?

Check the client software itself. What status is being displayed after the login failure?

Same status, I'm just unable to add a client to Retrospect server. I even tried with the Public/Private Keys, also with no other result than the darn wrong password error, and not being able to add any clients.

I also still have this issue despite trying the latest 608 release. I look forward to trying the fix in the next release and will keep an eye out for it.

I am using the trial version still. By uninstalling and reinstalling, will the trial continue to work, or is it going to run out at some point? I certainly cannot buy this version while there is this problem with it! Please advise on the trial / licensing issue.

Sorry to get boring, but since I'm not able to add clients, retrospect is still in the 'same status' as it was after installing... So no clients added, and not able to use the software with clients, since they were not added. I was able to repeat this now 3 times. It really makes me wonder why no one @ R&D came across this issue.

I appreciate the video. It does help with the steps you are taking.

We have an open bug with Retrospect reporting "wrong password" instead of the actual error.

BUT if you open the Retrospect Client Control Panel on the client computer (not the Retrospect backup software itself), what is the Status being displayed? It will look like the attached screenshot.

Actually, the video does show a possible problem. The engine and the console do not appear to be talking to each other correctly. You have a Yellow triangle next to the engine. it also shows the IP and not computer name.

If you stop and start the engine, does that update correctly? What if you remove the config80.dat and .bak files?

Is this OS X workstation or server?

Perhaps you simply don't understand the question. I'll try and break it down.

"Check the client software itself"

This is the Retrospect OS X Client software, running on the remote machine to which you are trying to connect. According to the movie, that machine is named Onno.

"What status is being displayed after the login failure?"

When you open the Retrospect Client application, there is a Status field displayed, where messages can be provided. In order to see them, you have to visit the physical location of the machine named Onno and launch the Retrospect Client application on it.

No movie necessary, just note the words in the Status field.

Dave

So this means that Retrospect has failed to even make a reasonable connection to this client.

Unfortunately the wrong password bug may make this hard to track down.

You may have already said, but have you done an uninstall and reinstall of this client using the client uninstall option?

What happens if you install the Retrospect engine on a different computer, can you login this client?

What happens if you install the Retrospect engine on a different computer, can you login this client?

I tried 3 times now, all on different machines (6 in total thus). I guess you can repeat this error yourself by setting up two 10.5.6 intel machines, connected by a crossover ethernet wire.

It may be time to get a debug log:

-Stop the Retrospect Engine from system preferences

-Go to the root Library folder then Application Support and then Retrospect. "show package contents in the "Retrospectengine.bundle".

-Locate the retro.ini and open that file with a text editor.

-Change "setnetwork logging" and "setenginelogging" from 3 to 7. Save the file

-Start the Retrospect engine and attempt to login a client.

-Post the operations_log.utx file. It should have a bunch of debug logging for the login attempt.

I notice I have the same issue you spotted in Jar Sconce's video. A yellow triangle. The IP address (instead of name) of 127.0.0.1. If I go to Retrospect | Preferences it repeats this IP for the server and underneath says 'Connected'.

I followed your instructions to Jar Sconce and below is the content of 'operations_log.utx'. Forgive me if I should have attached the file itself, I can't see how!

I notice it mentions it can't save Config80.bak, but it has done so. I deleted this file before I began and it is there again.

I had uninstalled Retrospect with the uninstaller (nothing more) and so this was a new install, albeit with whatever preferences are left by the uninstall.

The engine and the console are both on the same mac. The IP shows this, I believe, but I'll mention it anyway!

That operation was not licensed.

+ $[15]Retrospect$[16] version 8.0.608.1

Launched at 4/16/2009 11:04 PM

$[//]Can't save "Config80.bak", error -1101 ( file/directory not found)$[//貨뿿é©t逨뿿/Can't save "Config80.bak", error -1101 (%s)]$[/s/ë¿¿è„tzé„´ë¿¿/ file/directory not found/]

$[//]Can't save "Config80.bak", error -1101 ( file/directory not found)$[//늘뿿é©t똘뿿/Can't save "Config80.bak", error -1101 (%s)]$[/s/ë¿¿è„tz뜤뿿/ file/directory not found/]

Exit at 4/16/2009 11:18 PM

Launched at 4/16/2009 11:18 PM

Exit at 4/16/2009 11:18 PM

Launched at 4/16/2009 11:20 PM

$[//]soctSetThread: socket thread now 0xb1697000$[//ã¨ë…©é©tã¨ë…©/soctSetThread: socket thread now 0x%x]$[/x/ë…©è„tz㠺녩/b1697000/]

$[//]NetSoctop::Wake: registered new tthread 0x2a9e408, optthreadID 0xb0081000$[//îˆë€‡é©t뀇/NetSoctop::Wake: registered new tthread 0x%x, optthreadID 0x%x]$[/x/뀇è„tz뀇/2a9e408/]$[/x/{/b0081000/]

$[//]napiTrSetup: collisionID is 0xc2912047$[//ₘë¨é©tâ˜ë¨/napiTrSetup: collisionID is 0x%08x]$[/x/ë¨è„tzâ“šë¨/c2912047/]

$[//]soctSetThread: socket thread now 0xb1899000$[//劈놉é©t嘈놉/soctSetThread: socket thread now 0x%x]$[/x/놉è„tz囚놉/b1899000/]

soctPreDispose: maximum queue depth was 1

$[//]napiTrSetup: collisionID is 0x2f279547$[//ₘë¨é©tâ˜ë¨/napiTrSetup: collisionID is 0x%08x]$[/x/ë¨è„tzâ“šë¨/2f279547/]

$[//]soctSetThread: socket thread now 0xb1899000$[//劈놉é©t嘈놉/soctSetThread: socket thread now 0x%x]$[/x/놉è„tz囚놉/b1899000/]

soctPreDispose: maximum queue depth was 1

-Post the operations_log.utx file. It should have a bunch of debug logging for the login attempt.

I'm also using still the demo, like the original poster.

Do you have a license code entered under Preferences>Licenses? (don't post your code to the forum)

No, since I'm still using the demo version.

What is your exact version of the Mac OS for the engine? Workstation or server?

Mac OS X 10.5.6 client on a Intel cpu iMac

What edition of Retrospect? Desktop or Server?

The latest download as of now, 80608.

Edited by Guest

No, since I'm still using the demo version.

Retrospect does not have a "demo version". We offer a Trial version of Retrospect. Downloading of the Trial version, you will get an email with a 45 day trial LICENSE CODE. You MUST type that license code into Retrospect, otherwise the software will not work.

You can't use Retrospect without a license in the License preferences.

Downloading of the Trial version, you will get an email with a 45 day trial LICENSE CODE. You MUST type that license code into Retrospect, otherwise the software will not work.

Bingo! Maybe it's ignorance, or being used to the way other software behaves when entering no serial. I got my download from the support page, and didn't expect nor did read the software not working without a serial. Also due to the 'wrong password' dialog. I'll leave my credentials on the register page, and hope to test retrospect now without further trouble.

Thanks for your time and excellent help!