8.0 Client/Server bandwidth super SLOW

Bummer, The throughput/bandwidth utilization really makes 8.0 unusable in a network environment. With 6.3 Server on a Mac OS X server I was getting 600-800MB per minute writing to a Disk array as backup media. Now I am seeing about 80MB per minute with 8.0.

This is on a Dual 3.2ghz Quad core xserver with 8GB of RAM with Fiber Channel and 1GB ethernet connection. Any suggestions?

I'm seeing something similar while backing up my server.

I set my disk media set to 256 encryption and software compression.

When the backup hits the few large .dmg and/or .iso files I have on the server (think backups of 8.0G iLife09 DVDs or .isos of a Windows OS install disk), the backup throughput *really* drops. I'm showing about 160M/min after only backing up about 20% of my server...

I'd like to think an incremental backup will be a lot better after the initial backup, but this initial is really dragging on those files (and it was going fairly fast before it hit those files, too...)

Can you provide more info on your configuration?

If you refresh the client volume under Sources what is the connection speed? What type of Mac is the client system? What OS version is the client running?

Are you using compression or encryption?

What is the speed when doing the local backup of the backup server?

My network backup speeds have been much higher then this and much closer to 6.1 (6.3 Retrospect does not exist)

Yeah, I would agree -- backing up small files is what kills the throughput.

In backing up my xServe, when it hit my ical server directory and all those friggin tiny .xml files -- everything dragged to a halt.

However, I was surprised how long it seemed to take to backup the large .dmg files, too. Maybe that's a function of compression/encryption at work.