System sits at Windows XP screen after restore

RogerNCindy

What are the exact steps you followed for the restore? What is your exact version of Windows? What is your exact version of Retrospect?

Retrospect Express was a free product that you received with a backup device. Often the hardware vendor will provide you with free technical support.

Windows XP, SP3

Retrospect 7.0.301; Update 7.0.5.102

I followed the printed instructions. I had to exit from the first wizard and allow a more complete system to be installed since I needed network access.

While installing the the minimal system, I recevied two errors, "Cannot copy restore.rbc" and "Cannot copy net5211" Restore.rbc was on the CD, but the size was zero (I figured this really wasn't needed as I pointed the wizard to the correct catalog once the temp OS was up. As for the net5211.inf, it was never put on the CD (that I could find).

The instructions indicate "...you must create a user account...," but I was never prompted to create one. On a subsequent attempt, I created an account, but that didn't help.

An admin account also existed, but the password was unknown (on the temp OS).

After the restore was complete and the system rebooted, the XP startup screen appeared with the progress bar. Then the screen with the XP logo that normall says "windows is starting" came up, but without the "windows is starting." From there the disk access stops and it just sits there. Just in case it was thinking, I let it sit overnight. Still nothing.

BTW, did you "give" the software to the hardware vendor? If not, then it wasn't free. They had to cover their costs.

I'd be interested in purchasing this for my son's Vista machine, as well as upgrading my own, if it works.

Thank you.

I've tried 4 times to create a bootable Disaster Recovery CD on two different Windows XP systems running SP3 and can't get past error -1101 (file/directory not found). It would be nice if it at least told WHAT file or directory it can't find.

Did a search on the forum and found someone else with the same problem. 610 views and ZERO RESPONSES!

I managed to get some resemblance of my system back by using my system's recovery disk to restore it to factory. I then applied service packs 2 and 3 and installed retrospect. From there I was able to "restore" my system. Sortof.

It did NOT restore my settings. My start menu is a total disaster. I have no idea where this stuff came from. All my keys to all of my Garmin devices were lost in my mapping software. Who knows what else is missing/broken.

This software is definately not worth it at any price. I have a lot of work ahead of me that I shouldn't need to do since I had backups and a disaster recovery plan.

I actually looked at retrospect professional for XP and Vista, but I noticed it doesn't mention open-file backup capability for Vista. Why is that? Yet another "gotcha!"