Exchange 2007 backup fails with no errors

I have a brand new Server 2008 SP1 SBS with Exchange 2007, and Retrospect SBS 7.6.123. It's a very small setup (~5 clients), so everything is running in one machine.

We set up everything according to the specific Win2008/EX2007 guidelines, Retrospect logs in as [domain]\RBU, and I can perform manual (immediate) backups successfuly.

Our scheduled script is set to backup the storage group and the "Exchange mailboxes" node, incremental daily. It resolves containers successfully, and appears to run fine with no events or operations log errors. However, for every mailbox it reports "no files to be copied," even though there are hundreds of new items every day. If you try to restore a mailbox, "Items Chosen" will display the container as absolutely empty, instead of showing the thousands of messages beneath it.

This obviously seems like a critical problem, made even scarier by the lack of errors. I'd appreciate your help!

No difference whatsoever.

"No files need to be copied; execution completed successfully"

Each mailbox is full with thousands of items, "Browse" sees them all, and Restore->Mailbox->Items Chosen shows nothing.

There is something I noticed just now: it's never worked for backup sets of "Disk" type, but did for "file"-type sets.

I try a manual immediate backup:

• When my sources selection includes the 2 largest mailboxes (25-35k items, 2.5GB each), no mailboxes back up.
  • When it includes one of these two mailboxes, it works.
  • When it includes all mailboxes except for these two, it works.

That's just it? A very risky bug?

Oh - tonight's backup was a utterly worthless too.

I created one script to take care of everything but the 2 large mailboxes, and then another for the 2 mailboxes.

The first ran with the same problem - "No files need to be copied, Execution completed successfully".

The second seemed to have worked, although it skipped 5 messages :

MBDataInputStream::PrepareLongProperty: Failure (winerr = 0x8004011b) to read long property 0x1009.

File [....]: can't read, error -1012 (feature unsupported)

Sure, at this point I could let a few corrupt messages slide.

However, the second mailbox didn't work ("No files need to be copied"), and verifying the backup set failed too!:

Bad Backup Set header found (0xc000c80e at 47,280,334). Can't load source session tree for 4/2/2009 2:00AM, error -1114 (unexpected end of file).

Now Retrospect is crashing every time we try to back up anything:

"Retrospect has encountered a serious error:

Assertion failure at "elem.cpp-1000"

I probably am going to purchase a support incident. I know Retrospect is priced low and so is its support, but it still doesn't make one feel confident about the product, when you do things by the book, get critical failures, and have to pay extra for it.